can i drop a d16a1 into my 91 crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91hondarex

i have seen a couple old forums that say its possible but i want to see if anyone on here has ever done it or seen it done and if it would be even worth dropping the d16a1 i have the 89 integra that its in so i would have all the parts i need so if anyone could tell me what they think that would be awesome

thanks

do it! i like the dohc d16 motors in the tegs, they are basically a dohc zc motor, and people put those in your chassis all the time, so why not do it? lol as a matter of fact, didnt jdm crx's come factory with zc's in them from japan?

the D16A1 engine is not the same as the JDM DOHC ZC engine, only similar - almost the same as the 84-87 ZC, but completely different from the 88-91 ZC

the D16A1 engine will bolt right into the 1g CRX and 3g Civic, however, it will not bolt right into the 2g CRX and 4g Civic - if you were going to attempt it, you would need the 88-89 D16A1 and not the 86-87 due to the ignition system - you will need to fabricate a driver's side engine mount - the D16A1 mount is on the front side of the engine (toward the radiator) rather than on the end like the 88 and up D-series engines - you will need to do a slight modification to install all of the bolts from the transmission to the engine - you will need to make a modification to get the starter to bolt on - quite a bit of work for not much gain, but it has been done many times

Last edited:
yah i have the whole 89 teg that has the d16a1 in it but i cant decide wether to do it or not seeing how its going to be a bit of work and i think i am just going to sell the teg i just rebuild the motor and tranny and has a brand new clutch in it i have probably put like ten miles on the car since i did it i just like my rex a hell of alot more so i want money to put towards it and plus i have to many cars so idk what i am going to do about that swap i am re building the d15b right now for the rex so idk what would be that easiest swap with the rex

Back