Can I just take out the motor?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

divisii

I need to switch my D16Y7 to a Y8.

From my knowledge and experience, when it comes to an overhaul on the motor, Honda motor & trannys are often treated as one unit. But if my tranny's fine but motor's bad, I'd wanna just disconnect the motor & pull it. I see it as less hassle with linkage & driveline dissassembly.

Does this make sense? Please let me know if you know about this being done & specific issues involved?

The Haynes Repair Manual for the EG's goes into pretty good detail about engine and motor removal. I would take a look at it. I think it said that you could remove the transmission after removal from the vehicle, I'm pretty sure it'd be a lot easier to just remove it all in one shot.

don radeon, you're right they do come apart, I'll check the MO.
It seems there's plenty of room to unbolt the tranny from within the engine bay... Honestly, I've pulled v8 motors, but never a Honda ... all I can think, I really need to rock that thing a lot to get it out, so it's better if tranny has to go along, too.

Just pull it out as one unit, it will make it alot easier, IMO. With the motor and tranny out together, unbolting/bolting the tranny to the block with be alot easier. People might say otherwise but this route has been easier from my own expierience.

^^yes, pull it out as one and switch it when its out.. easiest way, especially if your swapping motors anyways..

its also to put it back in in one peace cause its easyier to line up the clutch and stuff with it out of the car.

+1 for the pull. I've done it both ways and I must say that having the whole thing out, its MUCH easier to swap trannies. Doing the transmission with the motor in the car will only take 2x longer, make you curse your ass off, and give you at least two bloody knuckles.

As a matter of fact, I had to get stitches from a ZC transmission I was swapping into a CRX with the motor in the car. The trans wouln't come out no matter what I did, I fought it for half an hour. Then, I reached around under it and it FELL out, smashed my finger..

The wife came out to see how I was doing, there was blood everywhere but I was too pissed to stop working, she made me go to the hospital after seeing bone and tendons. (I didnt know it was that bad)

phyregod, I can relate .. Lesson- working tight spaces sux. Got it.
Cool HD by the way ... my brother has similar.

Back