can i put a 2jz GTE DOHC 5 speed trans toyota supra twin turbo on a 1991 crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the crx is great but its engine is weak as hell plus how can i put a badass turbo on a engine with 98,000 miles as i said i am new to this and cars and i know he didnt mean he actuallt have stds he was just an asshole. im up for any (smart)ideas but i love my crx and wont change that i want to juice it up but dont know where to start so im just throwin ideas around and ass holes like that piss me off

If you love your CRX, then do it up right. Swap a B-series, and then turbo. If you try to do something like swap a Supra motor in, you're going to end up with one of two things: an empty wallet and a ton of debt, or hacked up CRX shell that's worthless and a Supra motor lying around.

that is advice ive been wating to hear the word turbo in there somewhere ill def go with the b series what model engine and turbo should i look at getting i know i can get a greddy stage 2 kit brand new for around 2,900 its quite sad ican get the engine for cheaper

max for my money i aint tryin to race but hows it gonna look when i pull up next to someone and i got all the cosmetics and no hp thats gay as hell i want as much as i can get for my money as of now i understand 6 grand isnt alot especially when tuning an older vehicle but the crx is just so sexy and i like it so much

ok after thinking about this for awhile i decided to be nice and give you some more advice.

for right now since you have less than 100k on the motor i suggest a vtec head, other words a mini me swap(search mini me for info) bassically your gonna stick a vtec head on a non vtec block. do a basic intake/exhuast and if thats not enough do a greddy turbo kit. it will run you about 1300 dollars.

upgrade your clutch, stage 1 or 2 from a good company, xtd, act or competition clutch. make sure you get a flywheel, nine pound if your going to stay naturally aspirated and 7.5 to 8 pounds if going boost. you will need an obd1 conversion harness from rywire or katman, i recomend katman. get the one with the optional vafc harness and get an apexi vafc. then chose a good tuning software and respactable tuner and spend the money for a good tune. make sure you also get a good exhuast system, greddy, hks, skunk2.

after that i suggest a roll cage, safeworks on h-t has good prices, 8 point will be good. strut bars front and rear, full coilovers with pillow ball mounts. rear sway bar from suspension techniques. a good set of rear lower control arms, rear lower control arm bar. good set of tires and a good set of wheels, do NOT get rotas, if you must get knock offs go with drags, made better and still made in japan so you will be might tight jdm! lol!

a good race bucket, gauges, a nice short throw shifter and shift knob will make driving more enjoyable. if your into road racing i suggest lightening the car, carbon fiber hood and a interior gut and under hood parts removal would be a good idea. i also recomend a good lip that will provide down force and jdm fog lights.

if you need any more advice feel free to shoot me a pm and if you need inspiration look at mine or dave holidays build threads. have a nice day.

supra engine in a crx, hahahahaha sorry thats kinda funny.

+1 but if you're going boost, I'd advise against the y8 head (assuming you've got an si crx) because the head with the a6 block puts the compression up rather high for boost, unless you plan on getting deep into mods such as low comp. pistons. Honestly, here's how it works. If you wanna go real fast right now, spend a wad of cash, go all motor. Buy an LS block, throw a b16 head on, upgrade the valvetrain, headstuds, new intake manifold, a good intake, aem or password or something, a good header, and at least a decent exhaust (even take it to a muffler shop tell em you want 2.5" all the way back, call it a day.) Then get your ecu chipped and a good tune. This will run you quite a pretty penny though. Or, you could go real real fast in a couple seconds, and end up with a lot of power and probably some money left over. Buy a GSR engine, tranny, etc, some low comp pistons, I don't know if vitaras will fit? Anyway, that, take a good brand of turbo kit (you can do your own research and figure out who you wanna go with) and get a good tune. It all depends on your specific hp goal. "As fast as I can for the money I have" doesn't help us at all. We need a specific goal, so that we can tell you specifically what internals need upgraded, what don't, which route you want to go, (na or boost,) again, so that we can tell you about internals and such. For example, crower makes a cam specifically for turbo apps and a cam specifically for N/A builds, and they don't like to be interchanged. If you're going boost, you don't need to upgrade the springs/retainers that will let you rev to 9k all day because you won't need to. We need to know exactly what you want first. Do a little research for yourself, figure out what you want, and then come back.

i want a new motor period 98,000 miles aint good at all i know that much at least a badass d series idont need to be speed racer or any thing 160 or 170 hp should do it how can i achieve that with 6 grand thats my predicament whats the best cheap way to do it

what about a frankenstein ive been told they are the best bet for an old crx they can be very cheap and powerful right?

ok 160hp? b16, intake, header, exhaust.

clutch, flywheel and a good tune will get you to that point

or do an itr swap, 98 and up like i said.

do not do and ls vtec, my experience is that after awhile ls motors dont like to be reved to 8k constantlly.

you all are a bunch of boost whores, na is best fools, itb's ftw!
lol I'm going with a very mild n/a setup, my brother's got a fully built $10k ls/v that still only has around 200whp....

d series, 160-170 hp? d16a6/y8 mini-me, arp head studs, arp rod bolts, p29 pistons, intake, GOOD header, DC or something, good exhaust, and a good tune. Hell, maybe make some ITB's and toss em on there, then get it tuned.

Seriously you need to take some time, do some research, and think about what you want to do with your car. You've already changed your mind like 3-4 times just in this thread.

there is so much wrongness in this thread, i barely know where to being.

6 grand isn't going to get you a 2jz in any honda. you'll spend more on a custom driveshaft and fabbing a rear subframe.

Back