Can I Put A B16a Obd1 In My 97 Civic Dx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys was wondering if it was advisable to put a OBD 1 Engine into a OBD2 Car, I need to put a swap into my Civic 97 DX and I can get this engine B16A for $600 and I was wondering if this would require a OBD1 to OBD2 adaptor or what can I really do, thanks for the help

In most cases, the obd1 engine will not plug into the obd2 car harness without extensive mods. I have seen adapters which allow the use of an obd1 ECU in a 96 and up car, However, I can't recall if they were used on the dash side or the engine side of the harness. Perhaps both. I do know that in emission inspection counties, any ecu other than the original on obd2 cars will not pass. The vin# is programed into all obd2 ecu's and is matched to the chassis as part of the inspection process. I will do more research on the obd1 adapters.

for 600 i bet its a 1st gen b16, which will have a cable tranny.. you need a hydro tranny.. you dont need to worry about vin numbers in the ecu.. it wouldn't pass any inspection anyway, the motor has to be the same year or newer than the chassis.

It's actually quite easy to put a OBD1 B16A into a 96+ I have that done to mine. All you have to do is get a skunk2 pigtail, add wires for vtec solenoid (if you're EK doesn't have vtec) a knock sensor wire and rewire the distributor. If you need specific instructions or help IM me or email me personally.

Originally posted by B16@Feb 26 2003, 09:51 PM
for 600 i bet its a 1st gen b16, which will have a cable tranny.. you need a hydro tranny.. you dont need to worry about vin numbers in the ecu.. it wouldn't pass any inspection anyway, the motor has to be the same year or newer than the chassis.

Well we dont have inspection in SC , so I guess that would be no biggy, then should I consider it???

Not so in NC. If your ecu vin matches, no check engine codes are present, and all orignal 97 SMOG equipment is in place, your good. So then, if you can have your ecu reprogramed and get your b16 wired up w/BOTH o2 sensers, bring it to me and ill pass it. HASPORT makes a cable to hydrolic conversion for your application.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 26 2003, 10:12 PM
If it is OBD 0 the plugs are different then your wiring harness.

Well the engine is a OBD1 and the car is OBD2 so dont I use the harness that is already in the car and run it down to the OBD2 to OBD1 adaptor then the ECU,??

Originally posted by 300hph22civic+Feb 26 2003, 10:22 PM-->
@Feb 26 2003, 10:12 PM
If it is OBD 0 the plugs are different then your wiring harness.

Well the engine is a OBD1 and the car is OBD2 so dont I use the harness that is already in the car and run it down to the OBD2 to OBD1 adaptor then the ECU,??

And I plan on using a Integra LS cable tranny what would be the best years to go with?? thanks for all the help guys :D

Originally posted by 300hph22civic@Feb 27 2003, 04:24 AM

And I plan on using a Integra LS cable tranny what would be the best years to go with?? thanks for all the help guys :D

Why a cable tranny,personal preferance?And the OBD II harness won't match the OBD I plugs on the motor.

We just use a skunk2 pigtail connector, lenghten a few wires with connector swaps, rewire the distributor on the harness side (for OBD1) and add a knock sensor wire and vtec solenoid wires and connectors. Not really that tough at all.

How do you wire the Distributor for OBD1 if it is on a OBD 1 engine??
Sorry a little confused on that one

Thanks for the help

all of the same wires are there ... OBD-2 has a 1 peice plug OBD-1 has a 2 piece plug ..... just cut and solder the wires to the new plugs (colors dont match but positions do)

Back