can i turbo my stock f22a1 ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've seen a few pics of turbo'd accords and come to think of it- the manifold setup looks very alike.

It's all good bro, after re-reading my post I seem like a real a-hole. My apologies.

P.S. I have seen a few wicked Lebaron turbos in the past..nice sleeper!

They are. All mine needs is a different wiring harness and it's good to go.

91, if you still want to turbo, don't forget to intercool. Try the junkyards. Tons of Saabs and Volvos have turbos and intercoolers. Saab intercoolers aren't bad either.

Rasing the compression ratio without boost would probably work out better I think. Less hassle, and new pistons :)

Spending a shit-load of money on after-market pistons, and then having to tear the engine apart to install them versus bolting on a turbo setup and probably making more power?

I don't know about you, but I'll take the turbo...

you could absolutely turbo the F22a1.. i know for a fact you could boost more than 4psi on the stock motor adding only the necessary bolt-ons needed to go turbo.. That motor is one of the more favorable stock honda motors to turbo because of its block.
I know people who are running these motors in their 4th Gen. Preludes.. one kid is running 12psi off of a Garrett T3 Turbo pushing 265 fwhp and 275 lb-ft with a stock cat and exhaust i might add.. its definitely possible to boost this motor and you could raise the bar past 4psi if you really wanted to see a gain..

How many miles on your motor now??

Last edited:
depends on who can tune it for you and how you want it.. aggressive/mild.. reliable/or not.. its basically a balance of reliability/safety and the power you can make or want to make

but on the F22.. dont be afraid of boosting more than 2-4psi.. F22's are better stock motors to boost than stock H22's... and im boosting 9 psi from my H22a4

Best of luck tho you tho.. post when you get it all finished up

yah so basicly what do u guys mean by tuneing, sry im new to this, i understand thats another word for adjustments correct?

what kinda adjustments would i need if i through a low boost kit on the accord??

u need to find a tuner in or near your area.. thats what i did.. they basically re-write some of your ECU so everything runs to the best of its ability.. its alot of messing around with programs and electrical to remap fuel delivery adjust timing.. stuff along those lines...

if you find someone, your best bet is to sit down with them and set up a plan or checlist of what you want out of your car after you build it.. and they'll be able to let you know what they can do.. unless you can do it yourself your best bet is to take it to someone just so everything is flawless..

and you can find a tuner at any checkers or autozone. or try a local mechanic or even a honda dealership can recalibrate for you

yea just look around.. great tuners arent too too common but they're around.. especially if you have any dyno's in your area, there's always people who can help you out there or at least point you in the right direction, plus it never hurts to dyno your car to see where its at...
but dude, if you seriously have an f22.. its got a cast iron block (pretty positive, correct me if im wrong..) but that can handle way more than 4psi... and for the money you'll spend, @ that low of a psi, it wont be worth doing anything.. like i said earlier i know people boosting 10 to 12 psi on bone stock f22a's as their DD's..

jeez thats awsome really??

i really want to direct swap the f22a1

to a newer less milage one, so that i can have a stronger engine.

mine runs great

but has 200K on it

so what do ui think/>>?

cast iron...nothing left to say instead of a new engine just replace the guts. you got a great platform. replace the pistons with some forged ones, new rings, (you can get a decent set for $600-1000) some new cams, shafts, vavles and valve spring and you a have an engine you could probably push around 12-16 psi through easily. if you make sure to do it correctly. My buddy wasted 2k getting his h23 turbo ready by not putting in new valves and made it about 75 miles and floated a valve right into the top of his 4th piston. lol, real exspensive paper weight

I never thought of doing that. Planning on doing the same thing as the swap, but i suppose I could rebuild it. I could make it better than it was. My only problem is my accord is my DD, and i don't have another car. can't have it laid up for too long.

yeah thats the one problem. easier when you have 2 cars. or maybe if you get a weekend and you are really fast...but still do it right lol

Back