1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can my school do this?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Seany-izzle, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

Alright ill start off by saying i go to a private college. (champlain college in burlington vt) All students living on campus cant park in the campus parking lots or on in front of the dorms. We residents have to get a sticker and park 1-mile away. ( :angry: ) Only commuters can park in the school parking lots and in front of the dorms. Well see, when i mean in front of the dorms, i mean on a public road owned by the town of Burlington. So if they find out that you go to Champlain College AND have your car here AND live on campus, they will ticket your car then tow it. There are no signs on the roads anywhere saying no Champlain College resident student parking--except in the parking lots (where i dont park)

Can the college legally do this on a public road?? Its not like the college owns the road. Anyone maybe with some legal knowledge help me out??

Thanks alot. :D

2. chingro

chingro Senior Member

file a formal complaint to the schools borad.

3. SolLess16

SolLess16 Senior Member

i dont know legal knowledge but if a college is saying that im sure they researched it and they can do that

4. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

Well have you gone down to the Burlington town hall to make sure that the road in front of the dorm is a town road and not a road on college property? I would really go down in person to this town hall and talk to the parking clerk VERY nicely. Don't get all excited about it. Also the college may have an arrangement with Burlington about that dorm road. The college may maintain it, like do the snow removal in the winter to save the town the expense.

Why don't you use this opportunity to make some friends with some cute commuter students to get some rides back and forth from class?

Other than that, you could organzie the resident students to file a petition asking for the rules to be changed. Or ask for them to add a shuttle bus for all of you resident students. Do you not have a shuttle bus? In addition, such short drives on your car are bad for your exhaust system.

5. Smonkeyboy

Smonkeyboy Senior Member

no they cant, but it would be too hard to change so just take the sticker off your window and park on the street so they cant tell

6. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

maybe i should of explained a little more. ok, i have no college stickers or anything on my car that would say im a champlain college student, plus i have vermont plates so they dont know im from out of town or state. Now, my college is in a neighborhood. The dorms are old victorian houses converted into dorm-esqe living. the walk to class is literally 1-2 minutes, its not a hike at all. The road that my dorm is on, which has about5 other dorm houses on it, is kinda a busy road. The town maintains the road all the time. Tomarrow I plan on going down to the town offices and talking to someone THEN going to the college to talk to them.

My campus is not like a huge campus like UMASS or anything, its a small campus in a neighborhood.

7. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

if the town actually owns the road then I don't think there is anything the college can do about it

but if the the school owns the road but has a contract with the state or town to keep it up then your sol

hey how close are you to nectars cafe ??

8. DarkHand

DarkHand Senior Member VIP

Sounds to me like the person who set up your school's parking system is a :tardcart:

9. Loco Honkey

Loco Honkey Banned

Nectars = best gravy fries in the world. I had a beer with Vanilla Ice there once. VIP in effect!

10. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

5 minute walk=30 second drive. its the best gravy fries i ever had. shit for 8 bucks you can get gravy fries and a burger...its damn good shit.

see they have no contract...shit ill get to the bottom of this shit tomarrow.....fucking stupid school...

11. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

y0 Ji!, let's kick it

:lol:

12. CRX-YEM

I've gone their for the sole purpose because phish used to play there when they were going to school at UVM.

13. preluderjs

preluderjs Senior Member

I never heard this before, I'm just wondering how? :hmm:

14. honduhhomie

honduhhomie Junior Member

it kinda makes sense because if the residents were allowed to park in the student lots and in front of the dorms...what would keep them from doing it all the time? i mean they would always have dibs on the whole preferred parking area. it wouldnt be fair to those who actually have to drive to school.

look at it this way:
    why should the students who must drive to school have to give up all the good parking spaces to the residents who can just walk?

15. CRX-YEM

yeah after a short drive the exhaust system doesn't get 100% warmed up and condensation forms on the inside of the pipes. then it sits there promoting oxidation.

most if not all exhaust systems rust from the inside out.

16. Smonkeyboy

Smonkeyboy Senior Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted