can somebody change gears w/o pressing the cluch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sergey P.A.

ok I now this cool sait were they explain the driving tehniques, so I came across of changing gears without pressing cluch,

they said it's bad, but why?

I tried it today, some times it would work, but other time the gearbox would make a funny noise,

any wayz is somebody doing it, can you explain how you doing it right, and if it's bad why?

holy jesus! i'm not going to touch this but don't do it if you make your gear box "make funny noises"!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

:bash: why would you do that? stop. perhaps consider a manual > auto conversion. :p who told you that?

www.howstuffworks.com <----- read everything you can

basically, when you depress the clutch, the internals of the transmission stop spinning, so you can change gears smoothly. without the clutch, the transmission is spinning, so attempting to engage a different (spinning) gear will grind. it's not good. stop.

I did it for couple times and once or twice I manage to change gears without grinding, and I thought there is a right way to do that,

Some people do it when they are at the track, just a tap on the clutch more or less. But they also know that their tranny's will not last long under tha abuse. If you have a couple trannys lying around then knock yourself out.

when i was in diesel school they told us some truck drivers do that to save wear on their $2000 clutch. turns out they end up ruining their $15,000+ tranny :lol:
BTW- the internals of the tranny are always moving as long as the car is moving even when the trans in neutral. if you can match eng rpm to the tranny rpm it will engage smoothly w/o using the clutch but you'll eventually fuck up your synchro rings and the car wont shift into some or any gears. SO DONT DO IT! no point :D

you can do this you just have to syncronize the gears together. For example for a downshift you have to rev the motor up and apply very little force to try and get tranny to go in gear. i think it is for a down shift 1200 rpms up and for a up shift like 800 rpms down

also Sergey buy a 90's honda manual tranny from the junk yard. make sure it works first. tear it apart, pull the gears and bearings and shift forks and synchro rings off etc. then put that all back together. when you finish that in a couple of months, see if the tranny works (it prob wont) and post whether it was worth not using the clutch.

My friend had an old beetle that was a stick with no clutch, had to rev match to shift smoothly, but could change gears without. You have syncros in your tranny for a reason. Shifting a synco tranny without the clutch is bad.

it def can be done, but like EVERYONE else has already said, its not advisable...

if you want to try it, but not completely destroy your tranny you can do it by SLOWLY shifting... if you have the motor rpm's matching correctly with the tranny speed it will usually slip into gear quite easily... if its not slipping in easily that means you're gonna fuck it up...

and this shifting with no clutch is facilitated by your syncros(sp)... and syncros(sp) DO WEAR OUT, so AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS...

Although I wouldn't advise doing this over the long term, shifting without the clutch can be quite useful. When you learn where your rpms need to land in order to facilitate a smooth shift, then your driving skills will improve. Go back to using your clutch and keep lining your rpm's up where they need to be. Very helpful to know if you shift in the corners, or you want to treat your transmission properly. Like everyone said, don't do it all the time, and definitely do not force the transmission into gear.

Eh, I do it all the time... but I do it the RIGHT way. Nevertheless- I don't do it on my Civic. The transmission in that car is worth too much.

The reason why it worked twice is because you pulled it out of gear when everything was synchronized perfectly. Other times the gears were meshing wrong and you heard that lovely grinding sound.

I missed fourth earlier tonight and heard that lovely sound myself.

yeah, my high school teacher does this all the time in a old jetta. downshifts and everything. people who have rode with him said he has it down perfect. i guess one way to save your clutch is to only use it when starting from a stop......

Its actually really easy, you just have to match the revs. If you do that, you don't hurt the tranny or the clutch. If its not dropping right into gear then your not doing it right. My dad once drove across Denver without touching the clutch....said he had to do some madddddd slow creeping in 1st to keep it from dying at lights tho!

Back