Can this be done ???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drenni

I'm not very sure about this change, but here is the dum question and has anyone tried it before? I want to but a 92-95 vtec head on my ZC block both are D-series so it should work???? Is this something that works or not, I'm thinking of doing the ever so famous mini-me with a zc block, I'm planning on doing it the right way P28 and everything. So com'on guys waht do you think.

comments are welcome

DA.Crespo
san Juan, PR

this is a good question.....

can you put a vtec head on a dohc non vtec ZC engine?

i was wondering the same thing. my initial guees is no, because isnt the ZC considered a part of the "d" series family?

anyone?

if its a sohc zc engine, then yes it can be done. its exactly like doing a mini me. but if it is dohc, it would not be worth it. it MIGHT be possible, and if it is it definitely wont be worth it.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Oct 25 2003, 02:53 PM
but if it is dohc, it would not be worth it. it MIGHT be possible, and if it is it definitely wont be worth it.

why?

because there is no dohc vtec d series heads. all the heads that are dohc vtec are b, f, h, and k series and i think the piston spacing of the blocks are different. and trying to put a sohc vtec head on a dohc block would take too much time and money to make it work IF you could get it to work.

i dont think you could get either of these to work, but IF you did, it will cost too much and most likely not work very well.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Oct 25 2003, 05:17 PM
because there is no dohc vtec d series heads. all the heads that are dohc vtec are b, f, h, and k series and i think the piston spacing of the blocks are different. and trying to put a sohc vtec head on a dohc block would take too much time and money to make it work IF you could get it to work.

i dont think you could get either of these to work, but IF you did, it will cost too much and most likely not work very well.

i was talking about taking the DOHC zc block, and the feasability of "slapping on" a dohc VTEC head?

i know u cant match sohc and dohc...

i know you were talking about the dohc zc block. thats why i said you cant do it becasue zc is a d series, and there is no dohc vtec heads that are d seires

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Oct 25 2003, 05:40 PM
i know you were talking about the dohc zc block. thats why i said you cant do it becasue zc is a d series, and there is no dohc vtec heads that are d seires

gotcha, i knew there was no vtec dohc d series out there...

so what u are saying is that the dohc vtec head will not properly line up with the dohc zc block.

yes, the bolts wont match and i think the spacing of the cylinders and the combustion chambers are different and wont line up either.

But wait, guys what if the block is from a ZC SOHC <_< would it work B) . I'm just not sure if anyone has done it before ZC SOHC block with a 92-95 vtec sohc cam head. It sounds kind of stupid but still lookingh for something that works before I can buy the big boy (B16B) so I guess it's going to be a while before I can buy that engine so I will try somthing new :p . Has anyone tried it before or is't a waste of money. Com'on guys don't let me down.

thanks

Originally posted by Drenni@Oct 26 2003, 06:58 AM
But wait, guys what if the block is from a ZC SOHC <_< would it work B) . I'm just not sure if anyone has done it before ZC SOHC block with a 92-95 vtec sohc cam head. It sounds kind of stupid but still lookingh for something that works before I can buy the big boy (B16B) so I guess it's going to be a while before I can buy that engine so I will try somthing new :p . Has anyone tried it before or is't a waste of money. Com'on guys don't let me down.

thanks

You can put a sohc v-tec head on a sohc zc block . Oh and the bad boy wouldn't be a b16b....try the b18c5 now thats a bad boy ;) It seems like you have the dough to get yourself a b16b? why not just go with b18c5? It'll waste that mini me set up with no problem! :)

But does any one know for a fact that it's a good combination, does it actually work??? keep it coming or is it just a waste of time and money. And yes I was thinking of the B18C but the differnce in HP is 15. Now is'nt the b18 much more heavy than the b16 like 500 pounds difference??? So why go with a much heavier engine that only has 15 hp, just trying to undestand maybe I'n wrong but then again that's what this site is for informaiton :D . But yes the b18c1 is a BADBOY I guess both are, atleast to me......

thanks guys,
DA.Crespo
San Juan, PR

Its not much weight difference. Probably 10 lbs haha. Yeh 15 more hp but u also gotta look at the torque specs. b16a 111 lbs of tq vs 127-134 lbs of tq. SO just think about that. It makes alot of difference believe me.

i dont think that they will differ in weight by even 10 lbs. they are the sam block, same size, only difference is the crank/rods/pistons.

But theres a single cam zc vtec engine. I have a head for one at my shop. The block looks the same as the zc single without vtec. Not sure, but I would say most likely.

why dont u just do a normal mini me swap and forget about the zc block entirely? go find some shitbag 88-91 civic si and grab the block then go get yourself a nice y8 or z6 head. :D i KNOW that will work

Back