Can you Canoe?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

if you want leg exercise then the paddleboat will work....

but man im telling you that a nice sit on top kayak is way more comfortable, fun, stable, and fast than a canoe. canoes are just a pain in the ass after youve paddled a kayak. you can sit in a kayak with a comfy seat for hours... canoes always kill my ass and my back. im from florida and an avid fisherman and i love the outdoors. i have grown up paddling on both fresh and salt water. i can tell you from experience that kayaks are way more fun and just as much exercise. since they are more efficient to paddle, that means you can go farther. on fishing trips i sometimes bring my handheld gps and will paddle 6 or 7 miles in a few hours fishing.

PS here in florida its definitely totally legal to get completely blasted while paddling a canoe, kayak, paddleboat, whatever.... as long as it doesnt have any kind of motor

Last edited:
Welp, spent 6-7 hours driving today, (fuck MASS) + (FUCK RAIN), and snagged the adventure 14' for the wife. The rushed back home, hit the mall, and snagged the paddles and life vests. The boat is going in the water in the morning. :D

After the long fucking drive, dealing with Massholes, and the rain...I was tired. But the wife let the dog out, and I looked at the patio chairs, and the patio, snagged an old trash can lid, and some wet twigs, and made a tiny romantic fire. The wife is in the mood.;) We sat for a few hours just keeping the fire going, drinking a few beers, and finally relaxing.

If I can sell off some wheels, I'll prolly go snag that hobie, and the wife is already thinking of getting a trailer, so her Outback doesn't get scratched up.:rolleyes:

I've done alot of research on them, as I was thinking of buying one..

The roto-molded ones seem to be the best buy. Easy upkeep, damn near bullet proof. None of the downfalls of aluminum or fiberglass. Heavier than aluminum but on par with fiberglass, Usually a touch cheaper, too.

My dad hand built a wood strip canoe from scratch ... He isn't like a carpentry genius so im sure if you know how to work with wood at all you could do it
canoea.jpg

kinda like that but with the seats in it and everything. He even put some carpet in it haha.

Those are freakin sexy. But I'd be afraid to actually boat in it. Can you immagine doing all that work and hearing "SKREEEEEE" on the bottom of the boat as you teeder on a submerged rock? ack.

from what I've seen of this adventure 14'...it's solid. Plenty of possibilities with the stock hull. I do know I'll be drilling and adding a few things to make it suitable for a few years of use.

Those are freakin sexy. But I'd be afraid to actually boat in it. Can you immagine doing all that work and hearing "SKREEEEEE" on the bottom of the boat as you teeder on a submerged rock? ack.

that HAS happened. they took it on a river that was low and a submerged rock actually put a crack in the bottom and it started leaking.

but there is a good side to this ... easy to fix. sand it down put some new fiber glass and epoxy and VOILA!! good as new ;)

about twice a year my dad goes out sands it and re varnishes it so it looks good. Its a great little boat, and 100% home made. Im going to go get on a computer with puicures of it on there to show you. (the ones i posted earlier werent actually ours but thats pretty much the same.)

here it is, from start to finish. He even made the paddles.

sorry to OP /threadjack

Attachments

• canoe04 017.jpg
    canoe04 017.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 170
  • decks 006.jpg
    decks 006.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 158
  • decks 017.jpg
    decks 017.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 227
  • gunwales 001.jpg
    gunwales 001.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 211
  • more canoe2 001.jpg
    more canoe2 001.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 177
  • more canoe2 009.jpg
    more canoe2 009.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 198
  • canoe04 001.jpg
    canoe04 001.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 154
  • canoe04 005.jpg
    canoe04 005.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 201
  • canoe04 008.jpg
    canoe04 008.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 216
  • canoe04 011.jpg
    canoe04 011.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 172
  • more canoe2 025.jpg
    more canoe2 025.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 170
  • My Pictures 012.jpg
    My Pictures 012.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 176
  • My Pictures 025.jpg
    My Pictures 025.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Before After Paddles.jpg
    Before After Paddles.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 170
I'm impressed...very good work, he could prolly make another one and them for about $3-4K's.

My wife is a real trooper. We went to Silver lake again yesterday, and went again today... took the dog both days, and the dog loves the canoe. I bought some fishing stuff today, but didn't snag anything. Everyone that sees this canoe is very impressed with it.

lol. This thread is hilarious. You went to get your wife's legs in better shape, and now you got a canoe.

Canoeing kicks ass...went again today from 11-4...burnt to a crisp, but fun as hell. I still didn't catch any fish:( But the wife and dog had fun all day.

Next year it's a Ridgeline truck, and a decent boat on the shopping list...and the cars are all going away except for one...which will prolly be the red Z. Some one buy my damn wheels so I can go buy that hobie pedal kayak and have some fun for the last of the summer, and part of fall.

If some smart local was wise...there was a hobie outback with a fish finder for $800 on Craigslist the other day, snag it, and bring it to me and get at least some of my wheels that I value at $1600..... which would prolly be the 16x11's with 245/45zr16's ES100's that are brand spanking new... or just give me $1100 and you get the wheels , and I go up and buy the 2006 new hobie Mirage outback SUV that's up in Collinsville.

Last edited:
Back