can you, or can you not?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

supaCOUPE

(this question is for a friend), but can you use the wiring harness from a DOHC VTEC motor (when swapping a DOHC VTEC motor into it of course) in a 96-98 civic? i was told that you HAD to use the stock wiring harness with the car, but my friend seems to think this is not true???

well you can do this two ways...... you can use the stock wiring harness and you have to add wirs when you put the motor in or you can use the dohc vtec wiring harness to do the swop... on my car i used the stock harness on my car withh i have a 95ex coupe......... :ph34r:

96-98 civics DON'T have shock tower plugs like the rest of the civics- Therefore you can't use the harness from the new motor- The easiest thing is to use to the harness from the old motor, label the plugs as they come off, and install them onto the new motor, adding length and plugs where needed

you need to use the stock or other civic 96-98 harness in all 96-98 civics

you could also use an EX engine harness, it'll save you from adding vtec and the proper Iac wiring, and add the second o2 (it's in the cabin harness on Ex's). But you'd still have to swap all the sensor and dist plugs over, it's way more difficult than using the cx harness.

but to use the dohc harness you'd need to swap the entire car harness, including cabin harness - very time consuming and unneccesary.

Mike, just use your harness that's in your car, then use the OBD IIa wiring guide I sent you in conjunction with the article about adding vtec, take your time, and do it right.

Back