Can You Turbocharge A B20 W' B16 Head?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alright, but how would a b18 with a 84mm bore be anymore reliable then a b20 with an 84mm bore??

Originally posted by Silverchild79@May 22 2003, 04:38 PM
alright, but how would a b18 with a 84mm bore be anymore reliable then a b20 with an 84mm bore??

It's not on its own... the B18 @ 84mm bore is generally more reliable than the stock B20 because you have to resleeve it to get to that large of a bore. You don't want to try and bore the stock B18 sleeve out to 84mm- the sleeve material will be too thin. Depending on the quality of the resleeve job, your resleeved B18 @ 84mm will be stronger than the stock B20. Of course, it will also cost significantly more too. You're comparing two drastically different sleeves there when you're talking about the B18 @ 84mm vs the stock B20 @ 84mm.

quote from FAQ:

"We also assume that you have bolt-ons already. Intake, Header with a 2.5 inch collector and a good exaust.
If you dont have these.....get them.....NOW!"

Why? My final plan is to build an LS block bored to 84mm, built for boost, w' a B16a2 head (since I already have one, and it's lower compression anyway". Then sometime down the road I'm going to install a tubocharger (once I figure out what size I want :) so I don't really want to go buing n/a intakes header etc. can I get some reasons??

why are you reading an all motor article for boost :bash:

you gotta build a motor for boost.
none of the FAQ's for the b20/vtec deal at all with boost.

perhaps there's a reason for it..... oh yeah, its not cost effecitive :)
just get a freakin gsr, build it right, sleeve it to 84mm, and get a good reliable turbo setup, and you will never miss that stroke.
cheaper, easier, and more relible, oem crank girlde, and will make just as much power- if built right, it will hold more than you can use.
so once again, why go b20?

you want a little more power that the b20 offers over a regular gsr? ok, crank up the boost 1 psi. its a lot fucking cheaper

My idea was to take the principle of a LS/VTEC, but to do it in a way so that the finished product is ready for forced induction. Esentially I Have the B16 head, I just want to built a bottom end with more torque, without increasing compression. hence the LSblock bored to 84mm. I had thought I was on to something. Would I be better off/ can I (get ready for possibly a dumb question), just bore and resleeve my B16 block to 84mm? It's the same block right? Could I use the larger crankshaft??

the b16 block is smaller than the ls and cr-v block. the b16 block can be bored and stroked to about 1.8L tops. you can stroke it real high but then you sacrifice a higher redline with out new pistons and rods. with the ls crank in the b16, you will have a r/s ratio of 1.44.

just stick with the ls/vtec resleeved to 84mm, or get a gsr longblock and later rebore/resleeve that to 84mm.

that's what I figured, thnx. But nobody awnsered my first question. The faq says I NEED intake, header, yada yada. It is safe to do it without those right?

larger bore effects compression as well.

Pistons with the same dish at 81mm at 84mm would bump up compression a couple points at least.

the b16 block is physically a shorter deck by about 1.5 inches.

if you have a b16, boost it. be done with it. SiR kid has it, Jeffie7 has it... they both make close to 300 whp... and jody will probably make even more this year.

tuned, and a couple more psi, and you hit 350 whp, and suddenly your car is stupid fast, if not scary.

torque isn't shit, especially when you have a turbo lagging and holding you back anyway. if you want more torque, run a little higher compression in the b16- keep it at 10:1 and boost a little less psi. you will make the same power, but less psi, and a more specific tune is requied.

From the sounds of all this, you are no where near ready to boost.

keep reading dude... there's so much shit to learn, and if you don't learn it before hand, it ends up costing you stupid expensive mistakes.

My asumption (boy did I just open myself up), was that the same head on a larger block would basically decrease compression as there is more volume to abosrb pressure. My logic is stemmed from my knowlege of aircraft hydralics, which is all about compression, psi, and a dosen other things.
So it sounded resonable, and truthfully still does, that a larger displacement would allow me to compinsate for turbo lag (+torque), while at the same time resleeving the block, adding forged pistons, etc would give me an extremely boostable setup. Price isn't really as much of a concern as you would think as I'm a single SSGT and I'm probably about to get a second job. Giving me about $1,000 a month to lavish upon my car. Anyway if you know of anything else good to read let me know, the LSVTEC article was the ish.

go to c-speedracing.com and in their how-to section, they have compression calculators.

just do a standard motor, then change the bore from 81 to 84 and click submit, and watch what happens :)

what eats turbo lag is air flow. the faster you can get air out of the exhaust to spin the turbo, the faster it will spool up. compression, even though it will give more torque, it will give it a slight advantage in spooling up, but seriously, you're thinking like an internet turbo n00b. you see lag in 1st gear. thats about it. once you bang 2nd, you are at like 500 rpms, and the turbo gets spinning real fast.

if you've got the cash, bore and sleeve a gsr to 84mm.

Geoff from full race, on his 81.5mm sleved gsr motor- otherwise stock, put 586 WHP out of a t3 60-1 with the stage 5 wheel .80 a/r
hows that?

yeah that would be fine, probably a little to much. I just don't want to go about it like everyone else. I want a finished product that is it's own, something B-series you won't see every day. But obviously functionality and practicality overide creativity. So you say an 84mm B18c1 huh? Okay. Thnx

I hate to do this YET again, but what would I get with a B18c1 bottom end and a B16 head??

:lol:

Originally posted by Silverchild79@May 24 2003, 07:05 PM
something B-series you won't see every day.

that's an oxymoron and a half.

whatever you want to do, someone and their 5 brothers have already done it. the days of orriginiality in the honda world is over. 99% of everything HAS at least been tried.

putting a b16 head on the 84mm gsr bottom is what i have. it will drop compression of the gsr by about .2, but then you add the 84mm bore, which puts it right baout back to 10:1 on "stock" pistons... if stock were 84 or something.. you get what im saying though.
i'm running 9:1 roughly... i have 9:1 pistons, with the head drop of .2, and the bore bump of .2 puts me back to 9:1 roughly.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 24 2003, 06:23 PM
with the head drop of .2, and the bore bump of .2 puts me back to 9:1 roughly.

???? Man, and to think I almost understood the entire post. Err up untill that point anyway. I'm guessing it has SOMETHING to do with the thickness of your head gasket, not to mention the bore, effecting your CR??

So would optimal be a B20B Block resleeved to the stock 84 mm be wicked to support a Vtec head and hella boost....like 20 PSI OR would using the B18A/B18B block sleeved to 84 mm be better?

Back