Can You Turbocharge A B20 W' B16 Head?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You kinda got to read the whole thread, that's what I thought too. However, it turns out that the end product will have a Higher CR then where you begin (the LS block w' 84mm bore). The B20 block generates more power but is less reliable due to the "siamese sleeves" (see pic above)..Your basically putting pressure against the same wall from both sides. Calesta's getting his B20 block redone as we speak, he had a run in with a vette while his girl was in the car :lol:

So I guess the idea is a GSR block bored to 84mm, use forged pistons that will run at a lower CR. all this with a B16 head (lower CR then the GSR head). The end product is a 2.0 VTEC Hybrid that runs mad boost and OWN! That is assuming I read everthing right.

Am I reguritating all this correctly B??

Also, what (if any) headwork needs to be done to match up the B16 head with the B18C1 block??

Ok, so I have a b2oVtec turbo right now. I am planning on pulling the motor out in a few months anyways. Should I use a B18A block that I have right now and built that up to the nines....sleeving it to 84mm and using pistons etc. that is required for the build. I want crazy ass power. With the b20 vtec turbo right now, I hit 301 HP at the wheels at only 10 psi boost. I think the moral of this thread is about the fact the B20 is good, but once boosted and stressed (Such as 15-20 psi applications) the sleeves can crack.

Therefore, if I am correct, the B18A resleeved (Thats it) will now be a 2.0 litre??

If I use the B18a block, for my application (turbocharging) do I need to change the crank or do I just need to get the appropriate low compression pistons and forged rods. I want to have the capability of running 20 psi boost but I would realistically run 10 psi boost around town. I just want a monster at the track!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yes you can bore an LS to 84MM, that's the diff between LS and CRV. And it's stronger, why? I dunno, still trying to figure out that myself, I guess it's the siamese sleeves. If your putting 300+ HP to the wheels then don't change anything, congrats you won!!!

:worthy:

I see the point about the siamese sleeves beeing weak but I think that they will only crack if too much boost is poured into the turbo (More than 10 psi boost) and the head bolts have been torqued improperly. I know of someone in Calgary, Alberta (I am from Kelowna, BC) who is running a stock B20 block with a Vtec head Turbo (Very similar to my set up except my head is done up to the nines) and he is running 15 psi boost. Sure it will not last forever, but he boosts it up to this point at the track. After all, he is only in that range for about 5-10 seconds. He is dyno tested at 360 wheel HP. I still am a firm believer of the B20 block.

Still would like to know if the B18A and B18B blocks are the same???

:imgone:

The only real difference in the b18a/b and the b20b/z blocks is the type and bore size of the factory sleeves. Other then that, the blocks are identical.

Stock B20b/z is a 84mm bore 2.0L with weak siamese sleeves.
Stock B18a/b is a 81mm bore 1.8L with stronger individual sleeves.

When you bore the LS to 84mm (only possible with aftermarker sleeves) it magically becomes a 2.0L with SUPER strong aftermarket sleeves.

The b20b/z when the stock sleeves are removed and replaced with 84mm aftermarker sleeves boecomes a 2.0L with SUPER strong aftermarket sleeves.

See? Once the factory sleeving is removed, the b20 and the b18a/b are the SAME. No strength differences in the physical block, just the factory sleeves. With aftermarket sleeves, you coul (if you really wanted to) turn the b20 into a 81mm bore 1.8L engine.

I hope this clears up some questions.

if you bore and resleeve an LS block to 84, why not bore and resleeve the 2.0 block to 2.1 or 2.2, whatever the final would be after the bore and resleeve? The b20 will always be a bigger motor if done the same thing to it as the LS.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@May 25 2003, 03:27 AM
if you bore and resleeve an LS block to 84, why not bore and resleeve the 2.0 block to 2.1 or 2.2, whatever the final would be after the bore and resleeve? The b20 will always be a bigger motor if done the same thing to it as the LS.

You can't do that because the bore spacing isn't large enough.

That's the reason Honda had to use the siamese sleeves in the first place.

Anything over 84.5MM WILL NOT WORK on a B series because the cylinders will just pop the headgasket between cylinders.

Please, only post what you KNOW. I'm trying to straighten this topic back out from misinformation about B series bores and strength.

Ok, so then say I was to use the B18A block and my B17a head and turbo charge. Would I have to worry about piston to valve slap? I am going to build the B18A block I have lying around with the following stuff.

To build a bullet proof bottom end for forced induction...what else other than this would be required other than what I have listed:

-JE 9.0:1 compression pistons
-Piston ring set (As recommended by JE)
-Golden Eagle sleeves
-Eagle rods
-Eagle crank (If completly worth it???? Or should I just get the OEM one balanced and polished)
-Bore
-Hone
-Hot tanked
-Deck (Probably necessary)
-New bearings and thrusts
-Blue Print
-Z speed Crank Girdle
-Mr Gasket Ls/Vtec Head Gasket
-Assembly

Originally posted by Silverchild79+May 24 2003, 07:46 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@May 24 2003, 06:23 PM
with the head drop of .2, and the bore bump of .2 puts me back to 9:1 roughly.

???? Man, and to think I almost understood the entire post. Err up untill that point anyway. I'm guessing it has SOMETHING to do with the thickness of your head gasket, not to mention the bore, effecting your CR??

nope, nothing at all with headgasket- thats stock.

putting a b16 head on a GSR block yeilds about .2 drop in compression
going from 81 to 84mm bore yeilds about .2 bump in compression.

as you can see, they cancel each other out, and leave you (or me in this case) at the pistons' designed compression

Originally posted by importimage@May 25 2003, 01:10 AM
I see the point about the siamese sleeves beeing weak but I think that they will only crack if too much boost is poured into the turbo (More than 10 psi boost) and the head bolts have been torqued improperly.

thats bullshit.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@May 25 2003, 07:12 AM
Anything over 84.5MM WILL NOT WORK on a B series because the cylinders will just pop the headgasket between cylinders.

hrm... interesting point...

why does importbuilders, and the likes, offer 85mm and 86mm bores for their all motor motors?

and sorry for the 5 posts in a row, but i kinda went through one at a time :p

Say the block needs to be deckked and the head has been resurfaced 3 times...then what.

I know this may sound gay but what is the stock height of the B17A block?

Originally posted by importimage@May 25 2003, 08:55 PM
Say the block needs to be deckked and the head has been resurfaced 3 times...then what.

what is this in reference to? im lost...

Originally posted by importimage@May 25 2003, 12:41 PM
...Would I have to worry about piston to valve slap?...

not with 9:1 cr pistons. and don't bother with the new crank unless you're gonna stroke it, and in that case, you'll need custom rods too.

Back