Canada:1, USA: 0

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The toyota sera looks like and mx-3 with gay doors,
I'll buck the Mazda AZ-1 though. looks pretty cool. 64 whopping hp. that's great. :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
The toyota sera looks like and mx-3 with gay doors,
I'll buck the Mazda AZ-1 though. looks pretty cool. 64 whopping hp. that's great. :laugh:
That is the Kei Class. They are limited to 660cc's and like 64 hp. There are also size classifications, they can't be, more then x-x-x demintions.

or more detailed, here is copy and pasted from that site...

Japan is a modern industrial nation with almost zero natural resources. So wisely in 1949, the Japanese government started giving tax breaks to cars of certain size and efficiency. These cars became known as Kei Jidosha (Kei-Car, K-car), which is Japanese for "light vehicle".

According to regulations, K-Cars must be less than 3.4 metres long and 1.48 metres wide. This is shorter than a new Mini, and not as wide as a Toyota Echo hatchback. Their engines are also regulated to be less than 660cc with no more than 64 horsepower. By comparison, a Canadian Smartcar has 42 horsepower, a 1976 VW Bus- 32.

The K-Car is very popular in Japan. The key to this popularity hasn't been just the tax breaks; it's the fuel economy. These cars have souped-up motorcycle engines with some of the most sophisticated turbo, superchargers, and dual overhead cams but they skimp at the pumps. Although the Kei-car regulations have changed over the years, Japanese manufacturers have had more than 50 years to learn how to get the most of every regulated square millimeter. Time to take advantage of it.

I want a honda beat....

On a diffrent note, I saw a new Honda Life on the road. I have no clue why one would be over here but who knows?

I have been cruising the intarweb, and until recently, had $8000 in my credit union account on the look out for a Honda City cabriolet or turbo.

I'll get one, you wait.

that's what we said about the crx too.... and the crx has more room than almost any car on the market.

The CRX's easily have the most leg room of any car I've ever owned/ridden in

So why couldn't a company be started in Canada, that could then lease the car with Canadian plates to a US consumer on a semi long term basis? It wouldnt work in any kind of volume but on a one or two car basis it ought to work as well as those that register their cars in oregon to avoid the value based registration fees.

I used to drive a kei car from Canada. I had a Micra. It was simple to get it registered from canada

hmm. This thread has got me thinking alot. Most of these cars 99.999999% of americans, even car fans would have NO clue what the hell most of them are. If the car has canadian plates, a canadian is allowed to drive across the border. Once it is registered in canada, drive it back over here (probally would be smarter if a canadian drove it across then you drive him back over the boarder) Since I am 30 minutes from the border, its not very far to drive without it registered legally here. Finally, once it is back home, de badge it, if it has any vin tags, remove them, then go to the DMV and have it registered as a kit car. Once you get it registered, enjoy driving a 50+mpg Glove.

Quoted post[/post]]
hmm. This thread has got me thinking alot. Most of these cars 99.999999% of americans, even car fans would have NO clue what the hell most of them are. If the car has canadian plates, a canadian is allowed to drive across the border. Once it is registered in canada, drive it back over here (probally would be smarter if a canadian drove it across then you drive him back over the boarder) Since I am 30 minutes from the border, its not very far to drive without it registered legally here. Finally, once it is back home, de badge it, if it has any vin tags, remove them, then go to the DMV and have it registered as a kit car. Once you get it registered, enjoy driving a 50+mpg Glove.

If someone makes it worth my while, I'll be the Canuck driver :)

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

If someone makes it worth my while, I'll be the Canuck driver :)

well I realized that by kei car standards, they will fit in the back of an extended pickup truck. Wouldn't even have to drive it...

Kinda Like this...

honda s600
loadingcar9.jpg

Back