Canon Camera Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
This is a pretty tech savy group, so I bet someone knows the answer to my questions lol. Im confused about this "Canon Hackers Development Kit." I mean, I understand how to use it once its loaded and what not. But, my problem is gettin it on my camera. I have a Canon Powershot SD750. I do like all the FAQ's say to check the firmware version. I put the file in the root directory of the SD card named "ver.req" then I turn the camera on in play mode and hold "FUNC/SET" and press "DISP" then the message "Firmware ver. 1.0.2.0" pops up. That version isnt even close to any of the firmwares for any Canon model period. The listed firmwares for the SD750 are 1.00b, 1.01a, 1.01b and 1.02a. All the other models are along these lines as well. So, whats the deal with mine? Am I doin somethin wrong?

I thought maybe I need to update my firmware so I did a quick search. I mean quick lol, and I couldnt find an update for the SD750. So, is it true that I need to update? Does any have a link for an update for the 750?

Q. How can I get the original firmware version number of my camera?

A. To get the version number, you need to:

• create a file called ver.req or vers.req in the root directory of your SD card (see below).
  • IMPORTANT: Note that it is spelled ver.req or vers.req, as in VERsion REQuest or VERSion REQuest, that Q is NOT a G, Type it correctly!!!
  • switch on the camera in playback mode and wait for the main screen (caution: switching on in rec mode and changing to playback later with open lens does not work with all models!)
  • press the func set+disp. buttons together (i.e. press set first, keep holding it down, then press disp.).
You will see Model Name, P-ID, a string like Firmware Ver GM1.00E, Error State and Firmware Date. The 1.00E part is the firmware version.

• when keeping func set hold and pressing disp. twice, the line "Adj Ver.00X.00X appears.
  • when keeping func set hold and pressing disp. three times, the line "Adj Ver.00X.00X appears together with IS Firmware Version and IS Parameter Version when having a card inserted with ver.req. When having a card with vers.req inserted, the numbers of "Total Shoot", "Open Shutter" and "Close Shutter" appear.
ver.req is just an empty dummy file.

-- For certain Camera Models, be certain that the last file on your card is a picture, not a movie clip. If it is a movie, the directions won't work with all Camera Models (G9 is working with movie as last item and even when displaying with lens open. Just take a pic of anything, and try again and it should work. SD400 1.01B have these restrictions, G9 does not).

Did you see that last part? could that be the problem? Also, did you try vers.req also?

I missed that last part. I just happen to have movie files at the end of the card. The camera automatically puts em after the images.

I havent tried the vers.req file name yet, but I will if it still doesnt work after I move files around.

Thanks a lot.

ill see if i can dig up what i found when i upgraded my SD1000 so that i could have open aperture? and a few other small features.

you can also use homebrew firmwares which allow you to get rid of some features that you dont use, and set your own feature templates.

That would be cool. Thanks.

I did get the firmware version. I had to go buy a card reader cuz the one built into my comp decided to quit workin lol. Workin on gettin the downloads now.

Success!

I got it all loaded and everything, and so far theres no problems. A lot of stuff to dig through though. I wanted it mainly for AEB function, since I wont be able to afford the D5000 I want for some time, since I like HDR photos soo much. Ive already got a few really good ones.

I was takin HDR's before by manualy adjusting the exposures, but with AEB the results are soo much better.

Back