can't get it to start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

m90polk

Got my ZC installed and I got it to start up yesterday but it was idling at about 2500 and it was just pouring out black smoke out the tail pipe. So right now I know that it is running rich (black smoke), but it does not want to start up again. I had wired it from DPFI to MPFI and it started up yesterday but some of the wires were wired wrong, now I rewired them and it won't turn over.:confused:

try changing your ecu. you couldve fried it with the crossed wires.
process of elimination.

check ecu, plug in another to see if anything different happens.
fix any CEL codes
triple check ALL wiring. (including ground wires)
Timing, check timing. that seems to be the number one cause for no starts.
make sure your getting spark. take an extra spark plug, wrap a wire around the outside and ground it. try turning it over and see if it sparks. - no spark? new dizzy. sparks? move to next step(make sure you check ecu first.)
check your injectors, prob to make sure they are getting power. theres a tool to check if they are firing but i cant remember the name.

that should help a little

new problem to go along with the old one

I had checked everything the ECU works fine and i get spark all the injectors are hooked up and grounded properly . But now when I try to start it (STILL WON'T START) the Main Relay starts to buzz and vibrate and apparently the fuel pump isn't working. I already checked where the rear wiring harness mates to the main wiring harness and nothing is wrong, I tried another Main Relay and it still does the buzzing and vibrating thing. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON I'M RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS????:confused:

check all fuses. then test the wires at the fuel pump, if its getting power then replace it.

you can losen the bolt at the fuel rail and turn the key on, dont try to start it and just check to see if fuel sprays out. if no fuel then you know that the fuel pump is the suspect. if you get fuel then thats not your problem.
if you dont get fuel loosen the bolt at the filter. may be clogged.

need a little more help

got it to finally run but when it started it went and just pinned itself on redline. i thought i was pressing the gas and i wasn't , so i disconnected the battery and it was still going then i finally went and pulled the A-plug out of the ECU and it stopped. I think I have a constant power wire running to the motor that may not be supposed to go there but if thats true then why when i disconnected the battery was it still running. That was real scary for me because i thought something was going to fly through the side of the block.:eek:

well the throttle isnt electronic so maybe your throttle is stuck open? and check your throttle positioning sensor, sounds like that could be your problem too. if it reads that your throttle is open when its not then it may do that.

still doing it

I tried switching up the wires on the TPS sensor because I thought that they may be wrong but it doesn't matter either way I switch them it still goes to red line. The throttle cable is fine and does not open the throttle body when it goes to redline, is that even possible for it to redline at idle and barely have the throttle body open, I have never seen anything like this before. Could it be that the engine wining harness to the TPS is wrong because thats what I'm figuring, but the guy who had it before me had it wired on the same harness and had no problems hows it possible?

the sensor could be completly wasted. try replacing it, or get a voltmeter and test the wires to see what its sitting at. then look in a repair manual or call honda to get the specs.

and i didnt know that it could hit redline without the throttle open either.
you could have a MAJOR vacuum leak, check all of your lines and make sure they are in the correct place and make sure you have no random holes anywhere.

finally it works

got the engine running better but not perfect come to find out it was the angle of the TPS was wrong so it thought throttle was wide open when it wasn't. But it still is idling at about 1200rpm's and it looks to be running a little rich. The hoses on the map sensor are a little loose so im going to replace them. Is that the only thing that could cause it to run at 1200 and rich?

Back