Cant get my Ostrich to work ;(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
I've read and triple checked my settings according to the instructions on Moates.net and I cant get my car to run with the Ostrich. Anyone have this problem and know the fix?

TIA

I bring up Crome, I can test the connection and its saying its connected. Then I can upload my map to it and verify its the same as the screen. BUT, when I plug it into my ECU the car barely runs, and you cant rev it at all without it falling all over on its face. I removed the ribbon cable, re-install my chip and it runs like a champ. Same map.

According to the moates.net site, you put the red stripe on the ribbon cable to the side where the notch would be on the chip. I tried 4 or 5 times to take it off, re-align it and it still runs like total crap.

I think I'm going to send Chris over at Xenocron a Email and see what he suggests.

did you connect to the ostrich, and send a map from crome down to it?

sounds like your missing a step.

car off.
plug in everything/boot up
key on
open crome
open program/bin
real time connect to ostrich
save map down to ostrich
start car

I didnt follow that procedure.

on Moates.net it says to:
download drivers and install them
connect the ostrich
upload a rom
verify the rom
connect to the car and check for operation

Not calling you a liar here B at all, I'm going to try your method when I get home.

You can either completely disconnect the ostrich from the ecu, load the map, then plug it into the ecu, OR if you want to keep the ostrich connected (which is much easier), just have the key-on-engine-off (not the accy position, you need the ignition on), then upload the ROM to the ostrich.

Not sure, but do you have to remove the check sum on the Ostrich?

no, only in crome.... thats a good point. did you remove the checksum from the toolbar before downloading it to the ostrich?

remove it from the toolbar, or did I select remove checksum routine? Please keep posting your thoughts, gives me more to try when I get home tonight :D

no, only in crome.... thats a good point. did you remove the checksum from the toolbar before downloading it to the ostrich?

lol, that's what I meant. You can't remove anything from the ostrich, lol. I meant in Crome. I work in TurboEdit, so I don't have to do any of that mumbo jumbo checksum stuff. :p

i forget where it is... i haven't used crome in like 6 months...
but its on like the 2nd to last menu... options or tools maybe? remove the checksum (its an md5 hash to show its a valid bin... but if you don't remove it and write it to the ecu, the ecu won't know wtf to do with it.) so... modded directions:

car off.
plug in everything/boot up
key on
open crome
open program/bin
remove check sum
real time connect to ostrich
save map down to ostrich
start car

I know where the remove checksum deal is at, trying right now as we speak, will post up results in a sec.

I tried a couple times now, no luck. I left the PC with nothing running, connected everything to the ecu, opened Crome, opened my map, removed the checksum routine, then tried to bring up real time programming. It wont connect to the ostrich now with the key on.

If I leave the key off, NP there. I tried to turn off the pc, plug in everything, key on, boot up, open crome, open map, remove checksum, still cant open real time programming with the key on.

Chris at Xenocron said this sounds weird, my problem that is. He said I can drop it off and he'll look at it, I work about 20mins or so from Xenocron. :)

you make it sound like xenocron is a big company with 100s of employees......

haha. Chris is a one man show. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a ton of ecus and stuff in his garage at home, lol.

I tried a couple times now, no luck. I left the PC with nothing running, connected everything to the ecu, opened Crome, opened my map, removed the checksum routine, then tried to bring up real time programming. It wont connect to the ostrich now with the key on.

If I leave the key off, NP there. I tried to turn off the pc, plug in everything, key on, boot up, open crome, open map, remove checksum, still cant open real time programming with the key on.

Chris at Xenocron said this sounds weird, my problem that is. He said I can drop it off and he'll look at it, I work about 20mins or so from Xenocron. :)

and yes, that does sound weird. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to connect with the ecu plugged in.

I emailed him that I'm dropping it off tomorrow and he says he'll look it over and hopefully get it back in time for the dyno.

I didnt know that if I just typed Chris that you would know who I was talking about, I thought he was a 1 or 2 man show :)

Chris is good peoples. I got all my stuff from him, and won't hesitate to buy from him again when I go to obd1.

Back