cant pass smog

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91crx

I have a 91 crx hf with a sohc zc engine in it and the smog places keep telling me that i have to out an egr valve on it. But the zc wasnt made with an egr valve so to deo this i would have to put the hf intake manifold on it anyways and then it probably still wont pass. what should i do ? thanks

if you put the HF intake maifold on, it will probably pass, most smog shops are not going to know whether what the difference between and HF and ZC with an HF or Si intake manifold on it. The only way they would be able to tell is the valve cover. One says 8 valve (or is it 12?) and the other says 16. The truth of the matter is that the ZC is an illegal swap in california, and there is no real way to get it to pass. So try putting a hf intake manifold on it and see ifyou pass that might just do the trick.
Good Luck.

nope they are both illegal, there is no USDM equivallent that can be used for the ZC, even though we all know that it is super similar to the d16a6.

What about you cali guys.. how are you passing the smog.. well iam in New Mexico. so there is no such thing... as smog test... :D

i have no idea...im still worrying about how i'm going to pass smog myself with a b18a in my car. but hopefully i'll find a way :p

Originally posted by sooboss@Jan 8 2004, 05:24 AM
What about you cali guys.. how are you passing the smog.. well iam in New Mexico. so there is no such thing... as smog test... :D

I am a cali guy, and I am trying to play by the rules, or at least till I pass the smog ref. Then It is play time, by upping the compression and switching out the cams, and valvetrain. I will be swaping in an OBD1 b16 into my 89dx hatch very soon. And I will be installing all the 94 del sol vtec smog equipment. There are some good links in the FAQ on this site about passing smog in Ca.

come live in the great state of maine where no one has ever heard of an engine swap and theres no smog tests for a sticker :D

I got my the b16 in my rex to pass smog in cali...you can definitly get the zc to pass, do a search and do the tips on there...it will pass...

Originally posted by Bl6CRX@Jan 15 2004, 12:33 PM
I got my the b16 in my rex to pass smog in cali...you can definitly get the zc to pass, do a search and do the tips on there...it will pass...

A b16 is a legal swap, however there is no USDM ZC. Yes there are motors that are similar to a ZC the D16A1, the D16A6, and the D16A9. However they at least say D16 on them. Smog officials, will fail you if you do not pass a visual. I am sure you can pass smog somewhere, whether it be legal or not. The zc SOHC ZC does not look that different than a d16a6, and if that is the motor you previously had, it really should not be that much of a problem assuming you can pass the emissions numbers...

hey whats up guys, im new to the forum, but i must say that its awesome....but i have some interesting news: i have a sohc zc in my 90 crx, and i recently payed a visit to the ref, and i PASSED without any problems. i dont know if i was lucky, or if the ref didnt know what he was doing, but i passed without any problems, i have the papers to show you guys, ill scan them tomorrow. whats your guy's input on this?

Originally posted by white90zc@Jan 21 2004, 05:08 PM
hey whats up guys, im new to the forum, but i must say that its awesome....but i have some interesting news: i have a sohc zc in my 90 crx, and i recently payed a visit to the ref, and i PASSED without any problems. i dont know if i was lucky, or if the ref didnt know what he was doing, but i passed without any problems, i have the papers to show you guys, ill scan them tomorrow. whats your guy's input on this?

Post a pic of the sticker up, lets see what you had done to it, you are the first I have heard to be able to do this.... Share you knowledge so that others can do the same.

the ref never gave me a sticker, he handed me a print-out and said that my car passed all tests and was legal to drive on california highways, i dont have a scanner with me, but i will be able to scan the printout tomorrow.

Originally posted by white90zc@Jan 21 2004, 08:08 PM

i think you are a thread-jacker,

but yes, post your knowledge to help this guy out, not to steal his thread

Back