can't remove 87 crx si front bumper

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondasaurus

Hey, I can't remove 87 crx si front bumper. I've checked my repair manual, online, looked from below and above, pulled off random things near it. I've got the 2 bolts near the middle that attach to the horizontal plane off. but i can't get to the 4 bolts (2/side) that attach to the bumper mounts? on the vertical plane. I have the corners loose and can slide them off the bolt? that sticks out. i've been removing screws in the splash guards. something in the middle of the front is holding it. i need to get the bumper off to change my front mask, fenders, and overflow tank. though i might be able to do fenders and overflow tank with it on just by flexing it. and my front mask is in 2 pieces so maybe that can be done w/ it on.
thanks.

you run the risk of breaking the fenders trying to get them to slide in there

i remember mine was a bitch to get off too but don;t remember the trick
try going underneath and looking for holes in the middle from the bottom
there might be nuts up through those holes you need to get out
or if your "mask" (header panel) is broken already take it off and see what you can get access to
remember the bolts in the header panel next to the headlights (i think thats where they hide them)

i actually think i took the whole front bumper reinforcment off, and then found how it really comes apart

It was one of those jobs that took 2 hours but could be done again in
45 minutes. Not bad at all. Information I have from the manuals
isn't quite correct for the '87 model. If you know what you're doing,
you can remove two bolts and slide the bumper/bumper cover off as an
assembly. The side marker lamp assembly has to be removed to get
access to one of the bolts holding the headlight housing in.

It turned out to be much easier to remove the bumper cover first and
then pull the bumper off. It's just easier to see what's going on
when you do it that way. With the cover off, it's also a lot easier
to get the bumper aligned with the attachment holes when putting it
back together.

thread is useles besides that quote
CRX Headlights - Page 4 - Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing

Theres two bolts holding the main part on the front supports, they are about 12" from the corners of the bumper on the underside. Pull the big bolts out and slide the bumper off the supports. Not hard at all......Find the two holes cut in the bumper and remove the bolts. This is the proper way to remove the cover, Then you can access the support bolts, theres four on each support.

thx guys, pm sent recked. yeah i think i just need the cover off but can't even manage that. just did my overflow w/ the batt out. cracked a fender missing a bolt(oops, one of many). stupid main bolt for fender that bumper slides onto is stripped. i think i'm gonna drill it. i got the 2 bolts out then tug on the cover every which way w/ no success. my mask has a couple chunks missing but i'm trying not to destroy it anymore if i can. wonder if i should just unbolt the mask then crack the alen wrench side tab off.

those brackets that hold the allens are flimsy if i remember right
better to break the mask than to bend the brackets to shit

i hope you have a new "mask" its called a header panel FYI

you can always knock an a hex key into the hex head with a hammer if its rusted?

yeah those brackets are weak.
header panel, ah, was thinking that was part of bumper support. my old panel was in 2 pieces w/ chunks missing. replaced it w/ 1 in 2 pieces and the wrong color.
good idea w/ the hex. one was stripped so i drilled it.
i never did get that bumper cover off. was stuck between the middle and the driver side. but i was able to pry the top bumper corners down and get to the most forward bolt of the fenders, so i was able to replace my bad fender and header panel.
couldn't get one fender bolt off that takes phillip screwdriver and has the clip for the bumper, tried drilling it but failed. snipped the edge of the fender off to fit.

Back