Car #6 joins my stable...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

Introducing my sixth car... it runs, no rust issues and only cost me $200!

a silver '79 Mazda Rx-7 w/100K miles!!!!!! Yay!

rx7.jpg

rx7a.jpg

The car had been parked since Labor Day and smoked a lot for about 15 minutes. It's an early RX-7 as it has a drivers side mirror but not a passenger side one. The windshield has a crack in it and a previous owner gave it a cheap silver spray can paint job. I'm reading through the Chilton's that came with the car and this car as a lot of cool features on it. :)

<------Merry Christmas to me! lol.

nice looking RX-7. a buddy of mine had a 1981 RX7 that had like 200hp in it NA using stock motor. and at one time he had 4 MTX 12" subwoofers in a wall behind the front seats. it was insanely loud buthe took them out after about 2 years and did the performance stuff to it. after that it hauled ass...LOL. anyways, congrats on the new car :)

200hp with a stock NA motor? Nice! It's a light car. Matt has a buddy in Florida that used to race a 2nd gen one, so he has lots of experience rebuilding these engines. Koni Yellows, stiffer springs... a rollbar... so more shopping is in order. :p

Neato. This car's got a cold start fluid reservoir. When the outside temp is below 0 degrees F, it squirts a mixture of ethylene glycol antifreeze and water into the carburetor throttle bore while the starter is being cranked. It also has a factory camber control kit. The radiator is beefy. Oooh and the alternator is new. :)

I know I know.... they tend to go at around 100K miles. Matt's going to show me how to. He says that it's a tiny motor and that is only weighs about 90 lbs. So we just are going to take it out and work on it in the basement this winter.

It's got an oil cooler too! I love how empty the engine bay is. What a cool car. I am bummed that my other cars have rust issues and this one doesn't and is so much older. This was a NH car.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Dec 19 2004, 12:35 AM
I love first gen RX7's. You can change the oil without getting under the car.
[post=434267]Quoted post[/post]​

damn that would be sweet

Yah... the oil filter sits right on top. This car is the rarer 5-speed (rather than 4-speed) and has a OEM rear swaybar which means that it should have LSD. And the hood support is on the JDM side (righthand side).

Cool. I had one, but my brother wrecked it.

I bought a book to get parts, I'll see if I can find it. It cost me a few bucks just for the parts catalog.

Matt and I have been doing some web research on these cars. The aftermarket support is pretty decent on them... with the exception of rims, and parts are cheap. So tonight, in freezing temps, Matt started the mad weight reduction process on the "7". More to continue tomorrow with plans to remove the "rats nest" under the hood. The cat is clogged, so that's going to be history too. I think that we are going to try to keep it N/A and carbureted.

tab- Please let me know about that parts catalog. Thanks in advance! :)

Here's a funny thread I found tonight....

You know you're a 1st gen owner when...

:p

Sweet one of my roommates has a 79 RX-7 in our driveway, it has a well built up motor in it, and puts about 250 horses to the wheels, all motor. The thing is a fucking beast. His car has the same no passenger side mirror thing too, I think that was just how they came that year. They are awesome cars, shitty gas milage, but then again my honda is not so great anymore. Great find, now port the shit out of those ports, and get some high compression rotors, and make sure you buy a new radiator (preferably a big aluminium one) and change the coolant every six months or so. As long as you do that you will only have to replace the apex seals every 100,000 miles. Haha. Sweet find and enjoy.

My friend Matt has an 82 and an 87. Pretty cool little cars. I spent the afternoon playing around in it... He rambled about some technique called "J" porting or something. Pretty badass.

Back