Car cuts off! What gives?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2fastaccord

When the car is started you cannot drive it or it will cut off when it warms up. It only cuts off when you clutch and the idle drops down to the point that the car cuts off. The car had a tune up just about 2 months ago so that has nothing to do with it. I was thinking that maybe it is not getting enough fuel. Sometimes when I park it somewhere and it sits for a little while but not enough for it to go completely cold it will not start or it will start and idle really rough. Then, when you touch the gas the car cuts off immediately. Do you guys think this could be a fuel problem? If not then what? Thanks in advance.

Peace*

this happens to my car (ej b18c1) sometimes but not as bad as yours, with my car it doesnt want to start right after it dies or if it does get started it idles really weak for a minute.

check out the timing

Originally posted by 2fastaccord@Nov 16 2003, 10:07 PM
Anyone have any clue what this is? It is getting to be very annoying.

Peace*

After you check timing, if it is right. Then check the map sensor and TPS and make sure you didn't get them mixed up. A buddy of mine had done this on accident after changing manifolds. It would idle rough and when you touch the throttle it would cut off.

could it be the injectors? my crx sometimes idles roughly as well and will cut off if im not careful and then i hafta wait and try to restart it for a bit before it will turn over, also smells like gas whenever its been sitting

check the egr valve, cause if your saying it's worse when it warms up, thats usually the gasket inside the egr sticking in the close position, and my foreman told me that, it would be worse when warmed up, cheapest part to replace give her a try with a cheap aftermarket to see, depends on engine application, earlier models did not have an egr valve

Back