Car for Girlfriend

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
2003 Honda Civic LX

What do you think? It's slightly overpriced, considering I know they just got it in on a trade-in. I'm sure they paid $5k for it. It's just had the timing belt and all that crap that goes with it, has all of those receipts. Everything's in good condition, no dents or scratches, drives straight, no funny stains, everything works. Didn't notice anything leaking. I love that it's only got 95k on it. It's near impossible to find a Honda in this area with under 100k on it.

Putting all that aside, what should we be able to get it for? It's from a Hyundai stealership that sells new and used cars.

Fuck no kids lmao. Yes she needs dealer financing so that's why we want to go to the dealership. And yea she needs an automatic. We've been working on her driving a stick, she's getting pretty good at it but she doesn't want to sit in traffic everyday with a manual.

Could she get financing from a credit union?

I got my becu loan before I shopped for a car and then commenced shopping. That way I could do private or dealership. Also I didn't have to fill out any paperwork at the dealer since I filled it out before, and it took 20 minutes to sign paper work and order my car.

She probably couldn't since she doesn't have any existing credi... but her parents are co-signing for her, I believe they have a credit score of 800 or something astronomical like that. I think her parents want to do it through the dealership, that's how they did their car.

I'm not too concerned about the financial aspect of it... What do you guys think of that year of Civic? Other than that they're slow as piss. What's attractive about it to me is that it gets almost 40mpg and has had all of the expensive maintenance work done recently. I'd rather not have to do another timing belt anytime soon.

What's attractive about it to me is that it gets almost 40mpg and has had all of the expensive maintenance work done recently. I'd rather not have to do another timing belt anytime soon.
lol, you sound like me
def shop around for financing
i have no specific opinion on the car
also shop the warantee, just in case something does break
its a honda, but you never know

2001-2009 civics suck. i'd try to find something else in all honesty.
8 grand buys you a LOT of car.

Please tell me how they suck, B? Hands down better in every way vs. the older stuff, minus the double wishbones. I don't think the average commuter gives a shit about that. The Civic and the corolla are the only econo box i'd touch up to an 06.

If her parents are co-signing then she will get a really good rate just about anywhere. Those are very solid cars, just SUPER slow with the 4AT. That and a Corolla are about the most reliable and maintenance free cars you can find for that price. Also worth noting are the 06+ elantras (older ones suck).

for that price should could get a lot of cars. and if she has a cosigner, she could get a better rate at a credit union. i asked if she has kids because it's a 4 door. not much reason for a young girl to get a grandma car.

go in, get pre-financed, and go find a car. unless you are at a bigger dealership that offers certified used hondas, she's going to get fucked. there are wayyyy too many places that finance broke mexicans at 24.99% to even fuck with it.

get financing and buy one of the cars i posted.

they ride like shit, they're slow as balls, the seats suck, the dash board sucks, they have no technology in them (ie, bluetooth/etc), there's no leg room in any seat, there's no way in hell you'll get 40mpg out of it, etc etc.

I think you can do a ton better dollar for dollar, even as a 'gf' car.

they ride like shit, they're slow as balls, the seats suck, the dash board sucks, they have no technology in them (ie, bluetooth/etc), there's no leg room in any seat, there's no way in hell you'll get 40mpg out of it, etc etc.

So what is this miracle car you speak of?

Ok open for suggestions B, what would you recommend that gets great gas mileage, will be super low maintenance, super cheap to fix, and is below 8k.

She specifically wants four doors she goes places with her mom and little brother sometimes. I tried to convince her otherwise but that's what she'd like.

9 grand puts in you in a4, tl, 325, altima, etc etc etc and all kinds of other territory for early 2000 models just the same.

if mileage is all you care about, get a diesel vw or something

Reliability! Audi's and BMW's are expensive to fix. Nissan's are ugly (IMO). Oh and I forgot to mention that she wants at LEAST a 2000.

Very true. However consider maintenance, insurance, current miles on the odo, ect... It's all give and take. If I was spending $8k on a car, I'd buy an older M3. I don't mind and can afford the upkeep. If my sister had $8k to spend I'd recommend a Shitvic. Stupid cheap fill up, easy and cheap to fix, cheap to insure.

I'm not trying to start an e-fight. Chaz, go drive a range of vehicles and see what makes sense.

I think you can do a ton better dollar for dollar, even as a 'gf' car.

agree with most except the 40mpg statement. i had a buddy in my first yr of college that had a coupe 5 speed, and the thing pulled damn near 50mpg on the way to seattle and back. granted it had an intake, and was a 5 speed coupe, id still imagine you could get close to 40 with a 4speed AT 4 dr.

My neighbor had an 07 in college and always was above 35mpg, more like 40ish when he wasn't in town. I was jealous with my gas hog tc.

why not just lease?

2011 chevy cruise, $159 a month ($5724, assume a couple K for a downpayment, and its target point.)
41 mpg

heard it on the radio 20 min ago.

in 3 years, you'll be in a different position in life and can do it again

Last edited:
Back