car has been sitting for a year, help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bannacrx

k so i just got a 87saturn sc2 coupe. has been sitting over a year. starters bad. putting on new one tommorow. hoping alternator isnt bad. any other suggestions i should do before i turn it over with a working starter just to see if it starts? and any other thoughts before i drive it around?

fresh gas, fresh oil, check spark plugs and spark plug wires, check battery to make sure it has a charge, check coolant and other fluids...

Just as a safety, pull the spark plugs and squirt a little WD-40 into the cylinders and turn the engine by hand. Make sure everything spins smoothly with the spark plugs out.

Check the tires for heavy cracking.. Check the hoses, make sure they are still nice and flexible and dont crunch/crack when you squeeze them. Check the belts.

Take apart the air intake system (filter box and tubing) and check for mouse/rat nests and mud wasp nests.. Make sure the filter is still in one piece and solid. Inspect the throttle body for foreign materials.. Clean all of that up and reassemble.

When you start it for the first time, watch the oil pressure, water temp, etc.. (Or dummy lights, if so equiped) and let it idle for a while. Resist the urge to rev it up.. Just let it warm up slowly. Make sure the thermostat works and the radiator fan kicks on.

Back