Car idles rough

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok here the rundown. I had a problem with my throttle sticking right so I worked up the courage to take off my TB (BTW I have a F20B TB, its the same as the H22A) and when I took it off i was like WOW. It had a lot of grease and sooth in it. So i took the throttle plate off and cleaned it throughly with H7. Next i did the TB it self (I just used a rag with H7 on it and cleaned it off).

I noticed some coolant coming out of one of the lines I took off the TB.

Anyways I hooked back up all the lines and tightned back up the nuts and bolts and tyed to start it up. Now the engine wont idle unless when i start it up i press on the gas and then it goes up and down and if i try to floor it it just dies (the engine is warmed up).

I triple checked the lines and sensors and they are good. The MAP (black one) sensor has the one with the blue plug and the other green one (???) has the grey plug in it (its a 1998 so i guess i have a OBD2 ECU) and the vacuum and coolant lines are in the right place like it did before i pulled it apart.

I also dont see any CEL so im pretty sure I didnt switch around the plugs

Ive heard people talking about idle adjustment but i dont know where the screw is for it?

PLEASE HELP

The screw is at the top of the throttle body. The only flathead screw in the area.

When you reinstalled the TB, did you use a new gasket? Sounds like you could've reused a shitty gasket, and you've got air going directly into the intake manifold.

I reused the old gasket (it looked pretty good, no cracks or tears). And there is no flathead screw on the TB (atleast its not on the top of it).

I tryed some kind of test to see if i was losing vacuum on the TB, i took a shred of plastic from a plastic bag (real thin) and i revved the car while my father held it next to and around the TB and it didnt move.

Ok on the IM where the TB goes on to, there are 2 studs and 2 bolts. Could it be one of those 2 bolts that somehow control the vacuum (?????).

On the TB itself there are 3 hoses connected to it, 2 for coolant (1 in and 1 out) and these are on the bottom beside each other on the TB and 1 vacuum line for the fuel (has red lettering) which is on the very top of the TB. Then there are 2 sensors. 1 that has MAP sensor Denso which is also on the top of the TB and the other has no writing which is facing the firewall.

But no screw?!

could be your idle controlve valve itself..

i don't know what H7 is, but I know you have to use throttle body cleaner to clean your throttle body.

If you use anything else it'll eat away a coat of clear sealant inside of your throttle body so your intake manifold won't be a vacuum anymore.

it might not be the problem but thats my guess.

H7 is a degreaser like Castrol Purple stuff or whatever.

I was saying that too (about the vacuum) but its not like you could put throttle body cleaner (same thing as carburator cleaner) on your paint cuz it would eat away the clear coat.

I think the amount of grime that was on the TB helped seal it but i still think it should work without all that grime being there.

If that were the case all i would have to do is rub some silicone grease on the inside of the TB and i should be fine (will try if all else fails).

But im taking her to the car doctor tomorrow to see if they can diagnose her and ill get a TB gasket just to be sure.

Ill let you guys know how it turned out.

Back