car is running like crap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civtegra07

I have looked around this site and i can't find anything that is close to my problem.(I think). I have an 89 civic dx. I swapped a d16a6 into it with all si wiring. Now after days of trying to start it, it finally ran on its own. I let it run for about 5-8mins. I tried giving it some throttle and the car will not rev past 2000rpm. Now it sounds a little ruff. So i shut the car down. Waited a bit. Started the car again...now the car will not idle on its own. I have done a compression test(right after i let it run for the 5-8mins.) the results were #4-185 #3-180 #2-175 and #1-190. so my knowledge leads me to believe that the head gasket must be descent. So my questions are: 1. Why will my car not rev past 2k and won't idle on it own, and 2. i have oil coming from the front left corner of the head, and the front right corner behind the timing cover.(where the head meets the block) Please help. Any reply will help me. thank you very much. Oh i will try to send the video of the car running so you can hear what it sounds like.
dany

timing sounds off....also check that all your vacuum hoses are on right...well go from there...
what ecu you running?

pm6 i checked all my vacuum lines and there good. The only thing that i could think of is maybe my timing is out a tooth. But I've seen so many different ways to time this car on here i don't know which one is the right one. So timed my car like so...TDC on #1 compression, lined up the white line on the crank to the timing cover, lined my cam up with (what I red on here) the 7 o'clock mark in line with the head. Put the belt on , turned clockwise on the crank 3 teeth, thighten the belt. After I turned the engine over counter-clockwies slowly to make sure everything was good and still lined up. Started car and the rest i said earlier. Do you think that it's possible that the belt could be off a tooth...maybe 2?? Thanks for your help
dany

is it the a6 belt on the car?? what you need to do is pull the belt off the cam...set the crank to on the line on the timing cover...make sure the #1 piston is tdc...now there should be 3 marks on the cam..set the two across from eachother,parallel with the head,there should be a third line pointing down towards the front of the motor...now make sure the belt tensioner bolt is loose..put all the tension on the side of the belt towards the fron of the car and slide it onto the gear..tighten the belt tensioner and then rotate the crank counterclockwise for a distance of three teeth.........pull all the plugs and crank the car,it must turn over atleast 3 times...then set the crank back to tdc,and see where the camgear is at

edit..make sure when you put all the tension of the belt towards the front of car...that the crank doesnt move...you will need to have someone hold it still and watch the line while you put the belt on..

Last edited:
Back