Car Jump Starts, then dies out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Secret Place

Throughout the week my car has been having problems with holding a charge. Ive changed the starter, battery and alternator. Yet still doesnt stay on after having a jump start. What should I do next.

If grounds are all good (probably 3 grounds) then I'd check for continuity in the charging system.

There's a voltage reglator in the alternator. did you replace the WHOLE thing or jsut part of it?

I replaced the entire alternator.
I picked up the charged battery installed it, and it started no problem.
I left it on for a few mins and it held the charge. I left it off for about an hour and it turned on.
Then I drove it around the block a few times. My idle seems fine but when i come to a stop the rpms drop below 1000RPMs to about 500RPMs and slowly works it was back up to 1000 RPMs. What could the problem be now?

Forget it, after a while of driving the car died out again. I just cleaned the negative and positive terminals and checked the alternator belt tension, it needed to slightly be tighter. I also checked the fuses and they all seemed to be good. I am going to jump start the car once more to see if it holds the charge. If it doesn't hold its charge then I honestly dont know where to look next.:(

Maybe you have a short. Just because parts are new doesn't mean they are good. Did you have the alternator tested?

Did you check the grounds where they meet the chassis?

no i didn't have it tested. and i have no idea what is going on . and my neighbor was checking the fuses and the connections recently but i haven't heard from him yet

1000 is way high. should idle at about 750 ish.

maybe the eletronic load detector in the distributor is bad?

what is this wire for? its by the starter DSC00661.JPG DSC00662.JPG

not sure... what's it plugged in to? if the answer is nothing, i think we might have a winner... lol

do you have a swap? what car/engine/ecu/obd/harness

plugged to nothing the car has started having problems after the starter came off. LONG STORY. I bought the car last year in january. It is a 96 civic ex with a b18b1 swap, P75 ecu I am unsure as to what harness is on. But the car has been running since the time ive bought it

ok, it kinda looks like a vtec plug, and being an ex and an ls, it would make sense that it's plugged in to nothing.

Back