car NEVER starts on first try when cold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tastyratz

So I am trying to diagnose a problem with my 88 crx HF. When the engine is cold it will never start on the first try, but will always catch on the second try consistantly.
Car will crank and spin with turning the key always.

If I turn the key for 2 seconds, wait 1 then turn it again it fires up almost instantly on second turn.

If I turn the key for 8 seconds, wait 1, then turn it again car fires up instantly second time again.

Does not matter if I briefly spin the engine the first time or hold it... car just refuses to catch. If the cars been running or shut down only a few hours ago it starts up fine.
Runs like a champ, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, battery, etc.

The fact that it is consistant like this is what baffles me. If it was sometimes, or if it would start holding the key in on the first try just with a little more effort I could blame it on something in the fuel/ignition department. The fact that it is dead nuts every morning before work regardless of the initial cranktime... and fires up on the second one like nothing happened truly confuses me. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

i think u have a problem with TPS sensor (throttle position sensor), the job of this sensor is to make ur car starts quick and without any troubles in the morning while its cold...

actually my dad is a mechanic , so i just asked him and he said its not from the TPS its from a valve called pressure regulator valve ..... sorry at first i thought its from TPS but when i asked him i found tht i was mistaken....

Back