Car not starting after heavy rain question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok so I have examining the ecu and I have a couple of questions. The cap at c14 seems to be one of the ones that blows on a lot of people's ecus. It is the big one that the black lead is sitting on in this pic.
2010-10-07_09-47-54_221.jpg

I do not see anything that looks like damage from the top, but on the bottom it looks a little bit damaged or maybe just soldered poorly. It is the two solder points that the red lead is pointing to in this pic.
2010-10-07_09-45-48_848.jpg

I put the multi tester to the two leads to test for continuity and with the red on the lead on the right and the black on the left it reads somewhere around 570-580. If I reverse the leads (red on left, black on right) it reads around 1360. I am not the best electrician, and I dont even know if this is how you would test a capacitor

I guess my main question is does this sound like it could be the source of my problem? Would replacing the cap possibly fix the ecu? There does not seem to be any damage which leads me to believe that the board should still be ok.

Someone came over today with a p28 and the car started. Now I have to buy another ecu. I think I am going to try and fix the other one and keep it around as a backup. The guy that came over told me that aftermarket alternators have a tendency to kill ecu's. Have any of you ever heard this before?

Back