car overheating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
ok so im driving back to school yesterday and i cruising at about 80 when i look down and see my temp gauge at about 3/4s. i let off the gas and it went back down to normal. i did it like that all the way back to school. then im sitting in the parking lot and it just kept going up until i turned the car off. so my question is what could be wrong? i was thinking the thermostat. im gonna go today and check all the fluids and pumps and make sure im not leaking. but just wondering if anyone else has got any ideas.

Check coolant quality and levels. Your radiator may be tired too. The thermostat and hoses should be changed at the same time as the radiator also. Don't cheap out on that stuff.

and get it done b4 it gets real cold out. Its a pain working on stuff in the cold(and or sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck)
check:
coolant level
hoses
thermostat
If you replace all that stuff, and nothings leaking(coolant level good) then it could be the water pump
if the level is down, try adding some, and if it eats that then its probably a blown head gasket(look for white smoke)

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Dec 14 2004, 07:29 PM
and get it done b4 it gets real cold out. Its a pain working on stuff in the cold(and or sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck)
check:
coolant level
hoses
thermostat
If you replace all that stuff, and nothings leaking(coolant level good) then it could be the water pump
if the level is down, try adding some, and if it eats that then its probably a blown head gasket(look for white smoke)
[post=432183]Quoted post[/post]​

too late...already freezing my balls off

went for a little ride and after 2 minutes it got too hot and i had to stop. its also messing with my idle. it idles normally and then the rpms jump and fall

Turning your climate control on to high heat with the fan on high will help cool your system down. But stop driving your car until you solve your problem, otherwise you're going to blow your head gasket dude. Don't make the current problem worse.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Dec 14 2004, 10:51 PM
Turning your climate control on to high heat with the fan on high will help cool your system down. But stop driving your car until you solve your problem, otherwise you're going to blow your head gasket dude. Don't make the current problem worse.
[post=432282]Quoted post[/post]​

fan was on high and even when it was real hot it came out cold. i have no idea

Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy@Dec 14 2004, 8:22 PM
too late...already freezing my balls off
went for a little ride and after 2 minutes it got too hot and i had to stop.
[post=432275]Quoted post[/post]​

^^^ Your cooling system is very unhappy if it gets too hot after two minutes and this time of year. If your coolant levels are fine, then replace your radiator, thermostat and hoses pronto.

with u having no heat, Im going to guess its the thermostat
its not opening, not allowing warm coolant to pass through the radiator and heater.

^^^ Yah. I agree with that. I was just really worried about you overheating your engine and blowing your head gasket. But check the condition of the rest of your cooling system please.

I just had the same problem and yes it is the thermostat- beware if you have not changed one you are familiar with that when you change it to bleed it correctly - and dont trust pepboys/checkers or any of them gay asses to find your correct thermostat(they got me the wrong with me telling them which one i needed) go to honda for that- bleed it correctly or your system will have burbs and continue to overheat my word of advice

found the problem, or at least one of them. coolant leak.

Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy@Dec 15 2004, 01:51 PM
found the problem, or at least one of them. coolant leak.
[post=432577]Quoted post[/post]​

from where if it is leaking from drivers side behind the sheild - imma say thats a bad water pump - some times when ur thermostat stops working it will flow out and leak from there as well- explain your leakage

no idea, got to fill it up again and find out. coolant was low last night, parked in a dirt lot, and today its empty. could have figured it out if i didnt park in a dirt lot.

fluctuating idel is caused by air pockets in the coolant system (among other things, but they don't apply in this case)

after you patch the hole/leak, bleed the system.
top it off, turn on the car with the rad cap off, and just let it boil/bubble over and out. it will get the air out of the system--- and make a mess all at the same time.

Why not just remove the bleeder bolt- i guess this would be easier but damn messy !

If there is a leak in the radiator, just replace it. Are any of your hoses soft? Any idea of how old the parts in your coolant system are? In my Si, I had to do replace things every five years, but my car has a lot of miles on it.

Back