Car Paint Question?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lee7pcNOOb

This may seem outrageous but worth a shot.
I Painted my aluminum alloy rims with duplicolor high performance wheel paint (gunmetal grey) and i was suprised how good it worked. So i tested it out on other metals plastics etc... no fading or anything and it didnt even run once.

I was wondering if anyone has, or if it could be a slightly good idea to paint your whole car using this stuff.

It doesnt run, its pretty strong etc..... I would sand and primer the whole car just want to save some money, anyone have any input?

you should just do the $50 paint job.. it takes a lot of sanding and time.. but its cheap and effective

you mean you wanna rattlecan your whole car???
it will look good when and only when..you prep the hell outta the car and spray light even coats over the surface..plan on spending alot of time if you rattlecan it..and like eg said..you could do the $50 paint job..

well compared to like regular duplicolor rattle can paint, the duplicolor highperformance wheel coating paint goes smooth on everything ive ever painted ive had no chips so far i will try to see what it will look like on a bumper i will post pics from start to finish of this project that way you maybe see what i mean, the gunmetal duplicolor wheel coat has little metallic beads inside of the paint that make it look pretty good. most of my fenders/bumper were replaced so they are already prepped just need to primer the actual body, but we will see. Cost around 75 bux.

i painted my wheels with that stuff. works pretty good. but honestly rattle canning your entire car would probably leave you without index fingers. and def tack rag the hell outta the car prior to spraying. when u spray with rattle can you can get more lines in the paint because it doesnt spray a wide band of paint like a gun would. try to search local car paint stores and see if they sell that shit in gallon's or whatever. i'm sure they have some type of mass quanity product. it's good stuff though for sure. it'd be kinda badass to paint ur car with it too. post pics

well compared to like regular duplicolor rattle can paint, the duplicolor highperformance wheel coating paint goes smooth on everything ive ever painted ive had no chips so far i will try to see what it will look like on a bumper i will post pics from start to finish of this project that way you maybe see what i mean, the gunmetal duplicolor wheel coat has little metallic beads inside of the paint that make it look pretty good. most of my fenders/bumper were replaced so they are already prepped just need to primer the actual body, but we will see. Cost around 75 bux.

Keep in mind though that plastic parts flex. That paint is made to be used on wheels, which are metal and generally non-flexible. It probably doesn't have the plastic additive that they put in the paint that usually gets sprayed on bumpers, lips, spoilers, and other plastic parts. It might end up cracking or not adhering that well and looking crappy after a while.

And yeah, like stevennn09 said, I'd see if you can buy the stuff in bulk and spray it with an actual gun. But shit, at that point, you might as well just buy some real paint...

Test parts

img00412ee1.jpg

img00415rs1.jpg

img00417xr6.jpg

There goes my test run, wet sanded with 400, primer, wet sanded primer wet sanded, base coat. test run sorry the pics look a little dull used a blackberry camera.... i actually liked it. for the most part its going to be the prep work that makes it look good.

as for the bumpers i know that plastic parts will bend and stuff so i have to worry about my front bumper and my rear bumper and make shure they are secured tightly. I think duplicolor makes and undercoat that will help me get over that hurdle but thanks for the imput regarding that because i didnt even think about it. ill bedoing it around july 20th and i will post pics and every detail.

I wouldnt recommend it lil areas are mucg different then big one! maaco $200 but real paint! prolly cheaper if you are gonna sand it!

well im pretty experience with the paint gun but i dont have the money for the compressor etc....
yea little areas are different from bigger ones but thats where the patience and sand paper come in to work i think it will be fine if not ill see you at macco, land of the chipped paint

I wouldnt recommend it lil areas are mucg different then big one! maaco $200 but real paint! prolly cheaper if you are gonna sand it!

Ill show you a picture of a bigger piece this weekend or so (like a panel) and maaco is around 450, which is what they quoted me

Last edited:
yeah maaco sucks but if you sand it good you should get ahesion! just do light coats with rattle so you dont tiger strip it!

yeah maaco sucks but if you sand it good you should get ahesion! just do light coats with rattle so you dont tiger strip it!

Thanks hatch your my hero, but i have a couple questions, ive used bondo before but painted right afterwards like 2 days. If i started my prep work early because im bored off my ass... if im planing on painting july 20th would my bondo prep job last that long even if i do it properyly and cover it with primer?

Maaco sucks if you just bring them something and say "paint this". They will actually prep well and do a good job if you talk to them about it, but it will cost a bit more...

duplicolor carys a shit load of stuff from flexable paints to material dye. IF you wnt a cheap paint job use house paint lol or go buy a gallon of enplament paint. I use that shit on my truck it dont hold up to rollin it but strong but easy to fix.

lol. i think im going to stick with the wheel paint, after researching it a bit more i dont have a doubt in my mind that it will come out well. ive been prepping, i will post pics in 2 weeks after i do it =)

i just need to find a cheap place to get a mugen lip and some fog lights online. besides ebay

Back