Car ran fine for a while need some quick help.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicracer

Oh, I do a little here and there.
Alright so since the d15b vtec swap it's been all good, except now for some reason it starts bogging at 3,000 rpm. It doesn't always do it, just sometimes and 1st gear almost never does it. And when it bogs down and decellerates (even with pressure on the gas pedal) it puts out this AWFUL smell it stinks like burning ASS. Then I have to nearly floor it to get it to run right.

Any ideas? It always seems to run just fine the closer I get to full throttle but it bogs down and smells like something nasty's burning if I drive slow and get near 3,000 rpm.

Wow really? Damn that sucks. I can't afford the down time to pull out the whole thing again and check it. I'll probably have to take it easy for a while til I can afford a new clutch, and I'll get a lighter flywheel while I'm at it.

But that IS strange it only does it at 2800-3000 rpms and 1st gear only did it once. Sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't. I know it smells like A-S-S when it does it tho. And I'm also sure it's not burning coolant or oil I check both daily now.

How sure are you that it could be a bad clutch? I'd love to check it out tomorrow or something but I just have to get myself to work and school and back.

well whats making me think it might be the clutch is the ass smell, when a clutch slips it burns and make a super bad smell,. seems like to me if it was gas, well it would smell like gas the same for oil it will smell like burnt oil,

The clutch seems to be working just fine, goes in and out of gear easily except into reverse you gotta pull it hard to get it into reverse.

yea but that wouldnt have anything to do with a clutch slipping

right the gear transition is all in the tranny what was I thinking

anyways thanks for the tips I'll definitely check that out soon, or if I can't get the time I guess I'll take it to a shop for installation and pay out the ass for labor

I've been pretty easy on it just sucks that it's going out

Oh well, I'll have to take advantage and buy a lighter flywheel and stronger clutch now :)

well if it is the clutch maybe you will get lucky like i did, i had a stock y7 clutch, and it would slip if i sneezed lol, but after a little time it would hold strong i could dump it at 7200 rpm and it would still hold

shit if you need a clutch i have one, and i dont think you live that far from me. It came out of a z6 and idk how much wear it has but it looks good.

It's kind of strange maybe just needs to be broken in. It doesn't always slip and I've tried warming it up. It does it when it wants to, like for a while after the swap it was just fine, then for a while (right up to the point where it broke down when the ecu fuse went out) it was slipping. Then after I replaced the ecu fuse, it wasn't slipping at all, and I haven't really abused it. Now it started doing it again, and usually I can keep it down for a while but if I even slightly rough it it'll slip and I can't drive over like 40 mph without it slipping.

I have the clutch from my d15b7 which was supposedly replaced just before I bought it and felt nice and strong, and the engine blew shortly after I bought the car. So I'll take the b7 apart and see what kinda shape it's in. If it's no good then I'll just take advantage like I said and buy a clutch that's a little bit stronger, along with a lighter flywheel.

By the way, what clutch would yall recommend? I've been researching looks like ACT and clutchmasters are the top.

What flywheel? And what weight is good? How would an 8 pound flywheel feel for daily driving? Reason for going with an 8 pound is because I would like to do some road racing and could use the acceleration, but I'll go with a 12 if the little extra inertia would be better for DD.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys.

Edit: I'll probably just pull the whole engine/tranny back out of the bay, since my old rubber mounts are cracked and it really seems like the engine could fall out at any given time with the way it vibrates. So I may put in some metal mounts :D.

i'm kinda leaning towards plugged catalytic, unless you don't have one in your exhaust setup.
well at first i was thinking that also but then he said it only does it every once in a while so then i thought if it was a stopped up cat it would do it all the time

Well...come to think of it I don't think it did that while I had the oem 1-piece exhaust manifold on there. And the header on there right now IS an ebay header that sometimes hits speed bumps...I dunno you know what I just might buy a DC sports header and try that out first. I would just put the oem exhaust manifold back on if I could...but it got fucked up...don't ask.

Well...come to think of it I don't think it did that while I had the oem 1-piece exhaust manifold on there. And the header on there right now IS an ebay header that sometimes hits speed bumps...I dunno you know what I just might buy a DC sports header and try that out first. I would just put the oem exhaust manifold back on if I could...but it got fucked up...don't ask.
if theres no cat on the car then your header is not the problem

yeah if there is a cat, is possible to have broken catalyst in there that on occasion plugs the pipe, affecting performance. the reason i felt like this could be it was a) the smell and b) the bogging/deceleration which is what i experienced when my catalytic converter took a dump on me. would never seem to happen in 1st, either.

Yea I still have the original, rusted out, crappy cat. With close to 200,000 miles on it that is.

I've got an idea. I'll take a look at the header see if it's banged up, and buy an ebay test pipe and see if it does it :D. But yea, the smell just REAKS. I mean it's BAD.

Yea I still have the original, rusted out, crappy cat. With close to 200,000 miles on it that is.

I've got an idea. I'll take a look at the header see if it's banged up, and buy an ebay test pipe and see if it does it :D. But yea, the smell just REAKS. I mean it's BAD.
well heres test you can try to see if its the cat start the car let it idle and get a rag and try to kill the motor by covering up you tail pipe if the motor dies before it starts to burn your hand you have a bad cat

Back