Car shopping for a friend...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

Matt has a friend in Florida that made the huge mistake of buying a new Mitsu Eclipse a year ago. And of course he was quickly backwards on the car loan in a major way. High car payments and the insurance for it were a drain on his income.... to the point where it got repo'd and he and his wife declared bankruptcy a month ago. So then about three weeks ago, he bought a '90 Toyota Celica at a Salvation Army for $500 without driving it. The car had some overheating issues and finally on the highway, the tranny blew up last weekend. In desperation, he asked Matt to find a car for him. His budget... $600.

So this morning, we went down to RI to look at a '90 CRX DX with 177K miles for $650. Some rust issues, but the engine seemed strong. But... the manual tranny on it was difficult to shift, no grinds but just felt gummy. And on the test drive, the radiator sprung a leak. So not a bad beater project car, but no way should it be driven to FL right away. But if anyone else wants a cheapo beater CRX, PM me for their email address and pics.

Then tonight... SCORE! Found a '92 Civic LX sedan with 120K miles on it for $900. Needs a timing belt done pronto, but has working a/c and has solid body panels. Owned by a woman and on its original clutch that feels fine. This car will make it to Florida no problem. His friend is happy and we get a ton of good karma. :)

Oh and I found a '79 Mazda Rx-7 with 100K miles to check out on Saturday morning for only $200... and it apparently runs. lol.

<---- Loves used car shopping.

my brother picked up his 93 civic hatch for 300 bucks. perfect body, and only thing wrong with it is a blown head gasket. im in process of putting a gsr in it though.i like car shopping for friends. especially test driving new ones......
we test drove a 05 Ford F350 with the 6.0L diesel engine in it. we beat the shit out of this thing, for the 20 minutes we had it, and we came back, something smelled bad like it was burning. we're friends with the car dealer's daughter, and she called us up a month later, asking us what we did to it. she said we were the last ones to test drive it, and they went to do a check before they sold it(apparently the moron whos buying it didnt test drive it) but she said we blew the turbo up on it(dont know what part exactly). oh well, it wasnt my drivers license they took copys of....
:cliffs:
test drove f350
blew turbo up on it

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Dec 15 2004, 09:38 PM
900 but a budget of 600 hmm
[post=432884]Quoted post[/post]​

He'll have another $300 by next week. $600 was an unrealistic figure imo. The LX was a very very good deal. $300 into the CRX on top of its purchase price would not make it equal to the LX either. And I've seen other EG sedans for at least twice that price in the private ads. We hunted the online ads for Florida and there was nothing down there to buy in anywhere close to his price range in a Honda. And also we got the job done quickly.

Also I was not willing to let him have any of my DX hatches. lol.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Dec 15 2004, 09:53 PM
yay.....?
[post=432901]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL! We just love to shop.... and help out our friends. I can't wait to check out the Rx-7... Matt rebuilt those motors before. And I think that I have one more space in the yard for a car. Hmmm....

Back