Car shopping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sloazcrx

I was out looking tonight and I found something interesting. A 1997 Nissan Maxima V6, 5spd. moonroof, loaded. It has 155,000 miles on it. The asking price was $4,600. It had a few scratches and the antenna was broken but the interior was in really good shape. Any comments or recommendations?

That is a lot of miles, I don't care what car it is. I would buy just so I could get some engine practice, modifying that the like, only way I would encourage buying it.

Nissan=good shit. I say do a "slip" test on the clutch before you buy it if you can. If it checks out that way...buy it, change the timing belt and waterpump, and then do a compression check, fuel pressure check, and alternator voltage check. Replace the battery if necessary.
That car will be around for another 155k miles, unless you destroy it.
Preventative maintenance rules. :thumbsup:

i wouldnt buy a maxima and mod it at all unless you were a hardcore nissan guy and bought the stillen sc for it. those cars handle like shit, and always will no matter what you put into it. they arent that fast. some people will say sleeper when i say go buy a new car. stupid kids im maximas think they are all fast and shit (so are kids in civics) more than honda kids.....its weird. i personaly wouldnt buy it. go find a 91 crx si and motor swap it and do some minor mods to it and youll be faster...

maxima = accord = lumina = taurus = {$4doorsportssedanhere}. they aren't project, race, or sports cars. so to those of you have have accords, but im sorry. lol

I beg to differ Pissedoffsol, now that the new Accords come standard with a 6 speed, and it is a six cylinder, you are running low 14's stock, I believe. Yeah it is a SOHC, but for that power I could put up with it. Also, I was at the track last week, and saw a V6 Altima run with I/H/E, he only went twice before I went, but his first run was a high 14. The second one was a 14.3. They might be big and heavy, but that is still a very quick time.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 24 2003, 01:41 AM
maxima = accord = lumina = taurus = {$4doorsportssedanhere}. they aren't project, race, or sports cars. so to those of you have have accords, but im sorry. lol

i know some maxima's that are ripping the strip in the 12's, which is a feat for something that big. There are vids of maxima's wasting turboed si's.

Originally posted by Domeskilla+Oct 24 2003, 10:03 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@Oct 24 2003, 01:41 AM

i know some maxima's that are ripping the strip in the 12's, which is a feat for something that big. There are vids of maxima's wasting turboed si's.

show me.....

goto the maxima sites (i dont remember the name, mike showed me over a yr ago), one is pushing over 400 with a WOLFE turbo setup

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 24 2003, 09:47 AM
I beg to differ Pissedoffsol, now that the new Accords come standard with a 6 speed, and it is a six cylinder, you are running low 14's stock, I believe. Yeah it is a SOHC, but for that power I could put up with it. Also, I was at the track last week, and saw a V6 Altima run with I/H/E, he only went twice before I went, but his first run was a high 14. The second one was a 14.3. They might be big and heavy, but that is still a very quick time.

Only problem is that for the V6 accord (at least the 03's) you can't get add on parts for them as easily (next to imposible) like you can the civic's, preludes, ect. Anyone can get a universal exhaust and possibly an intake (if the are available for your car) but my brother popped his hood to see about purchasing a header for his car, its a no go b/c the converter is mounted as part of the mainfold. Until they come up with an aftermarket header that will include this, he is up shit creek.

what is your budget? I think you could find a really nice little Civic or Integra for about $4000, as opposed to a Maxima with 155K on it... not worth it to me, then again I love Honda

I have a CRX with an ls swap (yada, yada, yada) but I liked the way the car looks. I also have a 240sx with an sr20det. The car really wouldn't be for speed so much as being a sporty yet comfortable every day driver. It would mostly be driven by my girlfriend. I asked when I first saw the car if they would do a compression test if I wanted them to. Got a call today at lunch time and they had already done the test and it was very good. 165,170,165,165,170,175.

Back