Car starts then cuts off then starts but smokes crazy after IM,TB,Hond

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Samuels

here is my thread from another board maybe 1 of you could help me..
Ok I have a turbo EG LS hatch and just got a Skunk2 IM,hondata IM gasket and 68mm skunk2 TB installed at a local shop last night. It drove home fine about a 1/2mile besides having to put my foot under the throttle pedal to make it idle down. I went out thier at 9am to start it to take it to get it tuned and it started and immediately shut off 3 times in a row. Then I start it and give it gas and it smokes like crazy and eventually shuts off. It was really cold when I was out thier. I called the shop and the sent thier tech over. It immediately starts up and stays running the only difference is it is warmer out but still smokes. They say it did'nt look like coolant but it did look white to me and the car never smoked like that..
When doing the install they found out i needed longer studs for the IM because of the hondata IM gasket being thicker. He wound up useing 2 bolts after removing 2 studs and used the rest of the studs. He told me to order the studs and they'd put them in on wednesday. The only difference is the map sensor was moved to the bottom of this TB from the top of my stock 1..

They told me i could still drive it but i'm not gonna. He told me i could bring it back and they'd put the new studs on it and put a stock IM gasket on each side of the hondata IM gasket. They said they don't think it is from the IM,TB install..

Any ideas on what the cause may be??

It just sucks because of i got 5k in this thing easy and still have'nt gotten it tuned or been able to boost..

UPDATE the car stays running now just fine but smokes a good bit when giving it gas and lost about 1/4 of a gallon or slightly less coolant not a ton but defintely a little bit. The car was only driven 1/2mile last night and seemed fine till this morning.. I took the car back to the shop just now and told them to just put the stock gasket back on. So anyone looking for a hondata IM gasket let me know. Inline said something about the pcv system maybe the problem. I know the exhaust has some moisture coming out and it smells like coolant to me but my nose is stuffy so its hard to tell.

I had this experience before. Turned out to be a leaky brandless head gasket. I kept losing a substantial amount coolant with increasing progression after each driving month to the point I needed to top up with each trip. At some starts, I thought the starter jammed but turned out actually there was coolant in the cylinders. Then one day, when I opened the oil filler cap and saw 'mayonaisse', that's it.

Quoted post[/post]]
I know the exhaust has some moisture coming out and it smells like coolant to me but my nose is stuffy so its hard to tell.

if you have a cat converter on your car, you should be getting moisture out of your exhaust, thats a sign its working right (turns bad gasses into water). BUT if you cant smell, just put your hand by the exhaust, and then rub your fingers togather. if it feels slimy or slippery, then your burning coolant. if it feels like water, than its probaly just water.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
I know the exhaust has some moisture coming out and it smells like coolant to me but my nose is stuffy so its hard to tell.

if you have a cat converter on your car, you should be getting moisture out of your exhaust, thats a sign its working right (turns bad gasses into water). BUT if you cant smell, just put your hand by the exhaust, and then rub your fingers togather. if it feels slimy or slippery, then your burning coolant. if it feels like water, than its probaly just water.

no cat straight pipe off of DP..

COMPRESSION WAS 200-195-195-195 JUST LAST WEEK..

Quoted post[/post]]
...so recheck it, compression tests are super easy to do.

My car is fixed but he bypassed the idle control thingy on my TB and 2 nipples off of my manifold. Now i can't start my car with the remote start early morning and gotta give it gas to keep it running once it warms up it runs great..

Is thier anyway to fix this and still keep the skunk2 68mm TB and IM??

Back