Car Still Won't Start!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RIT Civic

Ok I posted a thread where I could not crank my b16..i finally got it to crank but now it won't start. I am getting spark...i thought my ignition was bad so i changed the distributor and still nothing. I have fuel pressure. My fuel filter was changed and fuel pump also. Injectors are getting pulse and they are good. Car cranks but won't start. Battery is good. Made new ground connections and added a few more. Ecu is also good...checked exhaust to make sure its not clogged and still nothing. What the heck could it be. Can anyone suggest something different for me to check....please don't tell me to check again what I have already done because i have done everything millions of time...don't mean to sound like an ass but I am on foot...it's late, and i need my car for work and school...i know you guys understand....please help...checked both ingitors...changed wires and plugs too...walked the motor and its good...oil level is good...timing is good...did not skip any teeth...everything is TCD also...clutch engages fine too

How many times have you been crank'n, how long too.

Hope ya didn't do it too long, ya might of flooded the motor.

Take the spark plugs out and see if the look wet, if it does then take all the plugs out and let the motor dry out.

Also look down into the cylinders, you shouldn't get any reflection back at you. If you do, then you've really flooded the motor. I've seen this happen already.

are the spark plugs gaped right? also your battery COULD have a dead cell which could cause it to not crank. get the battery tested tomake sure.

I gapped the plugs right and they are not flooded. When I look down the cylinder I see the piston not any fuel. The car only has 260 miles on it...i just got it rebuild...spark plugs are dry...when i try to crank it it turns over and sounds like it wants to start but then you see like smoke/dust come out of the throttle body

I'd rechech all the plugs on your wiring harness. When I put my b16 in I was having the same problem , I just started messin with the wires and it started right up! Also there is two plugs on the throttle body that are exactly the same, make sure you don't have them switched around. Good luck
mel
PS. If its backfiring out of the throttle body I would double check the timing and do a compresion check to make sure none of the valves are bent!

The thing is I did not have to do any re-wiring when I did the swap because my car was a sohc vtec. The car was running fine. One day I went to the shop and parked it fine and then when i was going to leave i cranked her up and wouldn't not start...so i rolled her down the hill and started her up...when she did start the tach neddle was being jumpy between 1k rpm and 3k rpm but was not relevant to the actual rpm's the car was idling at...then it started to bog and miss a lot...so i pulled away and the car want to die so I had to hold the accelerator at at least 2k rpm so she won't turn off...then the car would run fine like nothing happen and the same thing would happen again...it was an on and off thing on my way back home....no i can't even start her back up...

do you have any oil in the radiator or any water in the oil?

Also when I try to crank her she turns over and sounds like she wants to start but its like something holding it back...I took the intake off and noticed that when she tries to start like dust/smoke comes out of the throttle body

Thats the same thing that happened to my sohc. It was a bad head gasket.

you really think it would be a bad head gaskette...the head gaskette only has 260 miles on it and so does the motor.,...i just rebuild it...i haven't even reved past 5k rpm because i am trying to break it in first...hmmm

well i guess today i am going to work at it...thanks for your time...i'll see what i figure out...any other help is welcomed

yeah i rebuild it myself...this is the third engine i do but its the first engine that acts up after 260 miles

Good thing my valves are in good shape...checked the compression and its good...buttt I took my fuel rail out and noticed injector #1 is cracked...could that be why the car won't start...maybe when i put the ignition on position #2 injector #1 drowns the pistons before I can crank the car and then it won't start...i noticed that overnight the spark plug was still wet and that was the only one...2-3-4 were a little wet but not as much as #1...what do you guys think?

Ok so let me ask this...i have some prelude injectors 345cc which i can't put on my car because it will drown...i had them on my other car (turbo setup)...what if I put one prelude injector and leave the other ones stock...i believe the b16 are 240cc and the preludes i know they are 345cc...what would happen?...can i run the car with three 240cc injectors and one 345cc?...will it cause any bad idle or bad run on the car?

Yo guys dammit i am happy....hahahahahahahaha...i put in my prelude injectors because i had the 240cc stock injector #1 was damaged. As you know if I put 1 345cc and leave the other 3 240cc in there it would throw the ecu off...so i changed it just to see if the car would start and that shit came back up...finally...so that cracked injector had a lot to di with it...i am going to change the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor today again because when i get to about 5k rpm it puddles...so i might need a tune-up..other than that im back on the road and i can finally continue breaking in my fully built b16a1....thanks to all

Back