Car theft. How can I prevent it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ImportConvert

I live really close to trenton, NJ. I would really like to not have my car stolen but I don't have $600 to spend on a GOOD legit alarm system. What in gods name can I do besides watch my car all night.

In all serious though, if they want it, they will take it.
an alarm doesn't stop anything
a club.brake lock/killsiwtch/ doesn't stop a tow truck

a gps monitor hidden where no one will find it (remember, they are going to strip your car, so you better hide it well within something that won't be found) or something like lojack is your best bet.

Other than that, just carry full insurance coverage and an itemized list of things on the car (some insurance companies let you 'claim' a value you want should anything happen to it, and of course, your monthly payment will vary based on this).

You could also move out of god-forsaken jersey :)

Thats kind of shocking that they would go so far as to hook it up to a tow truck. The insurance tho, if i built my block (knife edged crank shaft, decked, eagle internals Ect. Ect.) they would cover that?

i use a club on the steering wheel any time my car is not in my garage. i know it can still yanked on a flatbed, but i feel like the club is a pretty good and definitely cost effective deterrent for your average thief.

I use steering wheel lock and the brake pedal lock but in stead I put it on the clutch pedal : ) and I turn the wheel all the way so if they still try it's just gonna run into other cars lol

i drove 30 miles in my nissan with a clutch lock in place. left the key at home. there are workarounds.

garage it when you are at home. when you are out, have a good alarm, super sensitive sensors and full coverage.

like posted above, if someone wants it bad enough, they'll get it eventually.

the easiest way to not get ur car stolen is not own a car. but like everyone else said. good insurance and alarm. about it. people will get it if they want it bad enough.

The ins co won't care about your knife edged crank, but you can claim a value of your $2k on blue book car as being $8k for total loss/etc, and your premiums will be adjusted for this price.

Call your insurance agent and ask about doing a stated value to get some more info.

The ins co won't care about your knife edged crank, but you can claim a value of your $2k on blue book car as being $8k for total loss/etc, and your premiums will be adjusted for this price.

Call your insurance agent and ask about doing a stated value to get some more info.

you'll probably need receipts too.

you can insure your honda for $10,000, you'll just have the premium to match. insurance companies don't care about the car, just the value you will seek when your car is gone/wrecked.

you just can't insure for stock value of $2000 and claim $10k when it's stolen.

I asked State Farm about insuring my car on my policy for upgrades- they said they'd cover $15k over the cost of the car if I had receipts to prove it... but most of the times they won't even do that unless the car is listed as a "classic car" or something like that.

If you really want to be sure, talk to your insurance agent.

ive always hated lo jack. monthly fees, expensive, and its not garanteed to find anything. very few police have the necessary equipment to look for it. and even then they have to be within like a mile to even get a signal. and if the thieves find it they will just take it out and smash it.

a GPS system that is accessible via the internet and can tell you a location would be the best bet. you gotta hide it WELL though. like inside a subframe or something. only problem is, i dont know if anyone makes something like this. im sure theres people working on it though.

I could have sworn lo jack had monthly fees.

Still, my other points are valid. It's not nearly as effective as they claim.

I had a autoloc that goes on the break pedal and they took it right off and it was still locked when I got back the shell. It was sitting on the passenger side floor so if they want it there gonna get it one way or another

Back