Car wont run right.... life sucks..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Grifter

I have a 96 Civic CX hatch
Just finished (1 month ago) swapping in a ODB1 GSR, Wired in the Vtec, butterfly and associated wires but it still isn’t working right

When the car is started is does the following
- Has trouble idling
- Makes a loud clicking sound (Sounds like the butterfly is opening then slamming closed)
- Idles around 500 RPM and wavers up and down buy 300 RPM
- Stalls out at times.
- Check engine light has code 20,21, 41
- No power, feels like the old 100Hp engine
- No Vtec
- If I give it gas to get it to 1000-2000 rpm it will idle better but still wavers the RPM up and down about 300 RPM.

Here is the kicker, after about 5 minutes (gets warm) all the problems go away but I still don’t have power in the car. (Check engine light is still on)

Here’s my question
- If Vtec isn’t working does the car go into limp mode?
- If the Vtec solenoid was broken would it do this?
- Has anyone seen this before.

I have checked for vacuum leaks and had the ECU replaced. A shop that does swaps all the time has had the car for a week or so and they are still scratching their heads.

Any help would be appreciated... $5000 swap is now over $6500.... and I still don’t have my car back :)

Your primary o2 sensor heater is bad and you vtec solenoid valve has a malfunction. Thats your codes 21 and 41. And have you ever heard a dohc engine idle Just a question because you might be hearing yor loss motion assemblies. Hope this helps. Check out the reference section for some more help with your problem. And good luck and keep us updated.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but it might be worth a shot to look into it. A few months ago my dad had an obd2 Geo Tracker is his shop with an obd1 engine. It did some of the same things as yours. When it was cold it would miss and die at an idle. Then after about 5 min. it would act almost normal, but still didn't have any power. He searched for about a month on this (since he could only work on it for 5 min. a day) He finally fixed it by cleaning the injectors. You may want to give this a try. It won't be expensive, and if it fixes it then great. Just my 2 cents after that experience.

I will talk to the shop tomorrow.... maybe I will get lucky.

its hard to diagnose a problem that goes away after 5 min....

Checked the wiring, cleaned the injectors

Well still a no go although it is running a little smoother but still has that loud clicking noise...

I have a Vtec Solenoid on order now.. I will see if that clears off one or more of the codes. I’m starting to think the clicking noise is the cam when Vtec is trying to engage. This would also explain my Vtec trouble code...

Could one of the sensors improperly engaging Vtec?

Originally posted by Grifter@Jun 24 2004, 02:04 PM
I’m starting to think the clicking noise is the cam when Vtec is trying to engage.

not if you're hearing it at idle or when you're not moving

you can't fix a shitty running car when its throwing codes. end of story.

fix the codes, THEN work on the problems if they still exist.

Back