Car won't start. Doesn't even crank.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MugenCRX

Ok, so like 2 weeks ago, my car started acting up. Sometimes I would go to start it and it wouldn't start, but if I kept trying it eventually it would start like it was brand new, no problems. And it wasn't a constant thing, only everynow and again. Well, I was kinda worried about it, but didn't have the time right then to check on it, but then it quit. It didn't do it for like a week straight, but yesterday I went out to start it, and nothing. I sat out there for about a half-hour just turning the key to no avail. I pulled the starter and tested it, it's good. So I am left with two things, either the cables that go to the starter are losing power somewhere or my ignition switch is messed up. Only problem is, I have no idea how to test these, or where the ignition switch is even located or what I would be looking for. So....

Any advice or suggestions and whatnot, feel free to let me know. I need to figure this out ASAmuthafuckinP. Thanks in advance. :worthy:

Check your ground wires. I had the same problem with my 90 HB. Get a wire brush or some emmy (sp?) paper and clean them up.

It wouldn't be that because the car doesn't crank at all. If you have power to accessories do what they said above. If not, maybe you need a new battery.

Well actually, when my relay was dying, those were the exact symptoms. Sometimes it wouldn't crank at all, then the next attempt, all was good. When my mechanics replaced that relay, everything was fine for a year.... until my starter motor died. *shrug*

My brother has an 88 CRX and his car would not crank sometimes, and then finally wouldn't crank at all. Turns out that one of his ground wires on the engine had a voltage drop of 11.8 volts across it. Replaced the wire, works great. Kind of sounds like the same idea?

just a shot in the dark but does the battery terminals have corrosion on the terminals? OR maybe your battery has a dead cell which can cause it to not want to crank.

Ok, I bought a brand new Optima battery: Nothing.

I checked the large power wire that connects the starter directly to the battery: The starter end was a little corroded and not all the way connected, replaced the connection and Nothing.

I got an Ammeter, checked the small wire voltage at cranking: Nothing. Large wire volts do not drop at crank either. But my car will start if I jump the two.

My conclusion is a problem with the small wire. :shrug2:
Still open to ideas/suggestions.

your smaller wire (black) is the ground wire.

Clean up the terminals on the tranny and the body. It should be good to go after that. Just get a small wire brush or some emmery paper and remove the rust/crap from the contections.

Just another weird possiblility, when the car is running and your driving around does the clutch pedel feel weird at all? My brothers 89 crx was having intermittant starting problems, start one day fine next day nothing not even a crank. Replaced battery, starter, distributer and that did nothing. Turned out the weld that attaches the clutch pedel to the bar that pulls the cable had busted. So even when he had the pedel pushed in it really wasent thats why it wouldnt even crank.

Ben

ok go geta momentay switch for 3 bucks at any parts store run a +12v wire from that battery to the switch the from the switch to the starter whola turn the key then press the button and you have a running car

Back