Car wont start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Psyco609

car died while i was drivin down the road i pulled over and it wouldn't start back up. i had just had a new alternator installed on thursday could that be the problem?? cranks turnin and i smell gas. tried to jump it but it still didn't start. any ideas?? thanx

Ok. Tried to boost a dead battery when you know the engine will crank over.
you're kinda clueless about cars and how they work?

Does your engine crank over slowly? normal? fast?

Slowly could mean a low battery, bad ground from the battery.
Normal could mean something that doesn't require a boost.
Fast = bad. Ie No compression

You said that you smelled fuel. OK that means your not getting spark.
A few reasons, broken timing belt (ouch), bad plugs and wires(maybe), Cap and rotor cracked/worn out, ign coil under the dizzy toast.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Feb 29 2004, 03:53 PM
push start her,

saying that it broke while you were driving, i am almost positive that it is the coil. Honda's coils have been known to go, and that is probally the most broken thing on honda's.

Also, one way to check to see if you have spark. Pull a wire, and stick either a spare sparkplug in the terminal, and place it near a ground. Turn it over, and you should see spark. If you don't, you dont have spark. If you dont have a sparkplug handy, just stick a screwdrive or something like that (metal) into the wire, and place it near a ground (on the hood latch is a good ground that the wire can reach)

Originally posted by Psyco609@Mar 1 2004, 06:11 PM
i replaced the coil and it started right up. thanx a lot for the advice. saved my ass and my money

no problem, that is what we are here for.

Back