Car wont turn off

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Timmy o toole

started my car, jst swapped engine yesterday it starts perfect ignition and lights all come on but when i turn the key off the car stays running, what i cant figure is why it stays running when i disconnect the battery, is it because something is powering the pump but how with no battery, is the alternater holding charge.Anyone come across this before? its a b16a2 engine that was running perfect before i swapped it:confused:

maybe your ignition switch?? :shrug2:

I have never seen this happen! dose your dash turn off when you pull the key out??

the car stays running because the alternator is powering everything. you really only need the battery to start the car and use power when the car is not running.

ill second the ignition switch idea. have you got it to turn off yet? lol or has it been running? you can unplug the distributor, that should shut it off.

Ya when i disconnect the distributer it stops, and yes when i take the key out all the ignition lights are still on. where is the ignition switch or do ya jst mean the ignition.the car i pit the engine into is a eg vti saloon, this car didnt have this problem pre engine swap.i only came across this last nite so didnt have a proper look yet was thinking it might have something to do with the wires under the dash its like spagetti junction dunno what the last enthusiast was up to.

Back