Carbon body pices

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ihatemyprelude

Been putting some thought into CF, I have a oem CF hood at the moment (98 ek).

I was thinking of getting CF doors and a trunk, Is it worth the 1500 for doors and 500 for trunk? Iam looking to shed weight here, looks dont make speed..

No, don't bother with CF door panels. The trunk may be worth it if you are running a functional aero device. Go with fiberglass if you want to shed weight. Its cheaper and lighter.

Doors are a huge weight savings but not safe for street use as they dont have crash bars and such in them. Also dont listen to the above use about fiberglass being lighter than CF he is a idiot

the cf doors would be dangerous unless you have a full cage, and the original metal trunk lid isnt all that heavy. so unless you are serious about losing every pound you can i wouldnt think that its worth $500.

yard for yard carbon is much heavier than fiberglass. It does have the advantage of having a higher strength to weight ratio. On a stressed part carbon is the way to go but on cosmetic or aero parts glass works just as well and can be made lighter. Also most carbon part are made from a 7 or 12K weave because it is pretty but if you can find parts made from a 3K fabric you can save up to 50% of the weight.

Back