Carbon Fiber Hatch ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdmeg6

I'm currently looking to pick up a carbon fiber hatch for my EG6 as soon as possible. Does anyone have any experience they would like to share or recommendations on which brand to get and where I should buy it from?
Thanks in advance guys

Everyone I have ever known that's had a VIS CF hatch has HATED them, and said they're complete crap. I remembe reading on Honda-Tech that one of the guys with the flat-black EG hatches that had a CF hood and a CF hatch HATED his hatch, and said it was 'The worst thing I've ever bought'...I'm not talking about cheapass offbrand CF hatch, I'm talking about VIS.

Quoted post[/post]]
Everyone I have ever known that's had a VIS CF hatch has HATED them, and said they're complete crap. I remembe reading on Honda-Tech that one of the guys with the flat-black EG hatches that had a CF hood and a CF hatch HATED his hatch, and said it was 'The worst thing I've ever bought'...I'm not talking about cheapass offbrand CF hatch, I'm talking about VIS.
:worthy: Thanks bro! Thats exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear! Anyone ever hear of any problems with the NRG Carbon Hatch or know someone who has had one on their hatchback???

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
:worthy: Thanks bro! Thats exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear! Anyone ever hear of any problems with the NRG Carbon Hatch or know someone who has had one on their hatchback???

any reasons why he hated it? did it not fit, did it not close? cause for all you know he could have just hated the way it looked on his car!

The VIS is specific to it's mold. I know for the ED the donor mold has no wiper - and there is no place to have a wiper either. The latch is there, but the latch WILL crack and get shitty. Worse than a hood. The hinges at the top will also develop spider web cracking in the resin.

It'll happen. The key is to use it sparingly and be very gentle with it (Something I Can't seem to fucking drill into the heads of the people that close my doors)

my c/f evo hood from vis is amazing quality and fitment, even with my custom fenders.

I have a VIS Carbon Fiber hood as well and am not dissapointed with it, but I'm not here to talk about hoods. I am simply looking for input on carbon fiber hatches/trunks for the EG6. Im trying to avoid paying like $600 or so for a VIS or Seibon one so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the carbon hatches from NRG or any other company that doesnt cost as much as those pricey VIS and Seibon ones. I want to get one ASAP but I dont want one thats gonna fit like crap and cost an arm and a leg. Another thing is that it has to be covered 100% in carbon fiber, cuz I have seen some of those crappy ones were the area where the license plate goes is just painted black and not covered in carbon fiber like the rest.
Anyone? or know of anyone thats dealt with these before?
Thanks guys

IMHO, the cost is not worth the functionality or weight savings. If it for show points - get a VIS, never open it, and be done with it. If you want weight savings, I can guarentee that a FRP hatch with Lexan glass would weigh less.

Quoted post[/post]]
Another thing is that it has to be covered 100% in carbon fiber, cuz I have seen some of those crappy ones were the area where the license plate goes is just painted black and not covered in carbon fiber like the rest.

Covered ? Oh, we may be on the wrong page here.

You're looking for a Veneer, or a decal one ? Because if you're talking about simply covering it with a decal then I think you've stumbled into the wrong bar.

What is your intent, how much research have you given this, and what's your idea of a "Carbon fiber hatch" ?

Quoted post[/post]]
Covered ? Oh, we may be on the wrong page here.

You're looking for a Veneer, or a decal one ? Because if you're talking about simply covering it with a decal then I think you've stumbled into the wrong bar.

What is your intent, how much research have you given this, and what's your idea of a "Carbon fiber hatch" ?
:dry: :rollseyes: OK, your the one on the wrong page here, why the fuck would I be asking for what carbon fiber hatch to buy if I was just planning on putting crappy ass carbon fiber overlay on it. I have done plenty of research and I know what a damn carbon fiber hatch is for christ sake. I dont think that you understood what I meant in my post. Sounds like your the one that needs to research this more, if you knew anything about carbon fiber hatches you would know that they are not 100% carbon fiber constructed. So when I say "covered 100% in carbon fiber" I mean exactly that. Or at least the visible area is 100% covered I should say to make that a little more clear.

So can anyone point me in the direction of where to find the VIS or Seibon carbon fiber hatch for a good price?!?!?! I can find em all over the place but I dont want to pay almost $600 for one.

99.5% of the time you get EXACTLY what you pay for.

i would say Seibon. everything ive heard says all their stuff is awesome. worth the money.

Right on! Totally agreed man, I think Im just gonna have to fork out the extra dough for something that I know will fit and look good. Seibon it is!

i was interested in one as well down the line if I ever rebuilt my hatch, but i'm curious as to why guys hate them. If they have good reasons it would probably change my mind & save me a good $600.

Well, it's a showy item of course. It's a loss of weight, but not worth the cost. I will be getting one, but for that very reason (CF Everything, baby) But with the glass in place, and closed you can't really tell that it's CF.

My friend got one for his CRX, and talk about a difference there. He hits the trunk release and the struts throw it up to the sky.

That said, it will take stress fractures at the hinges. Just the way things happen, I suppose.

Back