Carbon fiber hood

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

webink_EK9

I'm looking at getting a carbon fiber hood for more weight reduction. I was also thinking about getting a vented or scooped hood to allow more air flow. What hood would be best to go with for more flow? I saw the VIS ones and didn't know what to think. I associate most of this kind of stuff with more show than go, but if its going to help...well then might as well. There's also more of a cowl style hood at cervini's and I thought that may work too, but who knows. What do you guys think?

I prefer OEM looking cf hoods...thats what i have....but if i were to get a vented cf hood it would be this style...but in my opinion go with an OEM cf one

Go with the carbonfiber oem style... or vis makes a jdm style that looks suttle but tight.

Originally posted by importjdmcivic@Sep 28 2004, 04:22 PM
I prefer OEM looking cf hoods...thats what i have....but if i were to get a vented cf hood it would be this style...but in my opinion go with an OEM cf one
[post=395884]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats the one I was thinking of going with. I'm looking for more air flow. OEM won't provide that. I'll probably go with that one and get it painted flat black to match the car.

Its getting hot. Its not overheating yet, but its getting close. I'm planning on getting another bigger radiator for it. It doesn't get that hot on the street, but at the track this weekend, it got really warm. Figure more air flow can't hurt.

Have you thought about doing what the drifters do? As in have an OEM hood...or cf OEM hood...and then getting brackets or whatever to make it sit higher in the back...kinda like a cowl...supposedly it helps with heat dissipation....i did it to mine when my radiator fan was fudged and i was able to notice that it helped...

That sounds cool. Got any info on doing that? Would you be able to put the hood down all the way without taking stuff apart?

You could do what some budget guys do... just throw a few washers in between the hood supports and the hood to space it out a little bit- you could also cut away the rubber gasket from the back of the engine bay too.

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 30 2004, 12:32 AM
You could do what some budget guys do... just throw a few washers in between the hood supports and the hood to space it out a little bit- you could also cut away the rubber gasket from the back of the engine bay too.
[post=396581]Quoted post[/post]​

I am one of those budget guys, lol. And what are you talking about...putting the hood down and having to take stuff apart? I just put some thick washers between the hood and the metal thingy...whatever its called...and made sure that the screws were long enough to still go in the hood but short enough that they got tight...aka i went to a hardware store and got screws to fit...you might have to adjust the hood latch so that it will close and open right...i didnt think about that when i did it at first and it was a bitch opening the first time...

Do you mean...how much of a gap was my hood sticking up? It stuck up about 1 1/4 in. in the back.

Would I be able to get it up about 2 1/2 to 3" up or would that take it up to much? Would it just be a matter of getting the right screws? And is there a kit to do this...something that would allow you to lower it if you wanted?

Originally posted by webink_EK9@Sep 30 2004, 10:51 PM
Would I be able to get it up about 2 1/2 to 3" up or would that take it up to much? Would it just be a matter of getting the right screws? And is there a kit to do this...something that would allow you to lower it if you wanted?
[post=397000]Quoted post[/post]​

I dont think you would want to raise it that high by using washers and what not...there might be a "kit" to do it...some of the ones ive seen are like 2 L-brackets attached to each other...there is prolly a better description but i cant think of it right now...Ill look around for it real fast...

gallery_34385_100_1096603546.jpg

gallery_34385_100_1096603533.jpg

heres some examples of it

Yeah, that looks high enough. You think they did that with washers? I'll look into it. How would you adjust the latch to catch right without getting stuck?

Haven't seen one, but if you come across one, let me know. I'm up for anything. I do like that jacked up hood thinggy though.

Originally posted by webink_EK9@Sep 30 2004, 11:52 PM
Yeah, that looks high enough. You think they did that with washers? I'll look into it. How would you adjust the latch to catch right without getting stuck?
[post=397025]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah i looked but i cant find anything about what they use...so...unless you can think of something better, just go with washers...and about the latch, you will need to get your hood propped up in the back and just see for yourself...you might have to adjust the hood latch and you might not

Back