1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbon Fiber intake

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by eg6sir, Oct 9, 2005.

1. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

ok i am thinking about getting the Password CF Power Chamber from passwordjdm.com and i was wondering if it is worth it.....?? Have any of you had any experience with this intake...how are the power gains?? i have the sir2 b16, CTR cams, dc header, and 2 1/4 catback..so would it be a nice addition to it...and i plan the get the Skunk2 pro series manifold in the near future... i had a cheapo intake on it from Kragen Auto Parts...it sucked ass so i put the stock one back on....

2. eg6sir

anyone?? anyone at all?? :thumbsup: or [​IMG]

3. scottp11

scottp11 The Seniorest Member....

El Paso, TX now, originally from Fresno, CA
    A friend of mine has a 95 hatch with a B16B in it. He took out the stock air box and put on that exact intake. He said he noticed an instant difference. Big improvement over the airbox. I guess any intake would be an improvement over stock, but he said there was a huge difference. Looks nice too.

4. eg6sir

i'm sure it will look, sound, and perform better than that Kragen peice of shit...right???

5. scottp11

scottp11 The Seniorest Member....

El Paso, TX now, originally from Fresno, CA
    Defidently, it has a 4in filter on the end of it... So much bigger than the Kragen one right?

6. confusatron

confusatron Senior Member

Power gain of 5 to 6 hp on a car that already had header and exhaust is very average for a CAI. BUT, $159 for the intake is about the same as you pay for a AEM basic CAI on ebay, so i guess it just depends on whether you want the hassle of installing the AEM, or the simplicity of this cf intake. Doesn't look like a bad deal to me man. I'm thinkin of gettin this myself now. hehe. If you want better power gains, think about gettin the AEM V2 intake. It'll run you at least $250 on ebay, BUT your power gains should be closer to 10 hp. If it's worth it to you, and you arent afraid of driving in heavy rain and losing your engine due to the location of the AEM filter, then go for it. But i personally don't think 5 hp is worth an extra $100+. Go for the carbon intake dude.

Another thing to take into consideration is the location of this filter. You'll be sucking air from the engine compartment, which after a few minutes of hard driving, is gonna be hot as hell. You might wanna toss around the idea of making or buying a custom cold air box that fits in teh same location as the factory box, but still with the fatter intake pipe and the high flow cone filter. Just an idea.

7. eg6sir

i'm still debating if im gonna get it.....it'll be like 170 somethin after taxes and shipping

8. drpenguin

drpenguin Senior Member

taxes? what are those? i dont think we have tax here in oregon

9. confusatron

confusatron Senior Member

If you buy anything on the internet and you live in the same state as where the product is made/shipped from, you pay sales tax on the item.

10. purestreetracer

purestreetracer Junior Member

my buddy had a b16 too and dynoed the aem cold air and that kragens cheapy ya....and the kragens dynoed better all around by at least 2-3hp.

11. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

It'll probably be just like any other intake, except that carbon fiber makes the intake deeper sounding. More growl-y. And carbon fiber is just pimp anyway. I'd vote "Buy it".

12. eg6sir

on a dyno.. the short ram will create more horsepower than a CAI

13. formby

formby learning in progress

i dont think so ...many factors to consider...i think that the cai will draw in cooler denser air thus creating more power....

14. eg6sir

seeing that the filter is placed in the fender, i would think that the car would need to be moving to force the air into the filter and thus it would have to try harder to pull air through the longer tube...and on the dyno isn't the hood up anyways...

15. formby

do you drive around with out a hood????? are you building a dyno queen???

16. eg6sir

first off he(purestreetracer) was talking about on a dyno...so was i....i was just saying on a dyno(if you read previous posts) a short ram will create more power than the CAI...yes of course a CAI would create more power while your moving..why would it cost twice as much

17. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

I think people give too much credit to cai VS short ram.

You DO get cooler air from a CAI, but it isn't that much cooler than what you get in a short ram..

For every 10 degrees cooler, our lil hondas get roughly 1 hp. Even though a short ram is in the engine bay sucking up all that header heat, while going down the highway I can't immagine it being, at a most extreme, a 20 degree difference.

Now sitting in traffic or cruising very slowly I could see a CAI having a good advantage. A couple of extra HP.

You can't really test that accurately on a dyno.

18. formby

#1, i was just asking......chill...

but on a dyno i wouldnt use either...a longer version of a ram with a velocity stack on the end.....but if you are going to buy one i would get the aem cai...if you live in a dry area...

19. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

sorry, didn't mean to come off all mad sounding or whatever, was just stating my opinion.

I'm chilled. :mrgreen:

20. formby

not you mang ......i was talking to eg6sir.........i forgot the quote

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted