carbon fiber repair?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyAzn

long story short, i forgot to use my shitty hood pins, and my hood came up, broke my window which resulted in some cracks in the hood. is there any way to repair this damage? or am i sol

thanks,
kyle

ps, also the vis hood is starting to fade. . . could i resand it and clear coat it again or use the laminating resins?

sorry i have no idea what to do. . .

Quoted post[/post]]
long story short, i forgot to use my shitty hood pins, and my hood came up, broke my window which resulted in some cracks in the hood. is there any way to repair this damage? or am i sol

thanks,
kyle

ps, also the vis hood is starting to fade. . . could i resand it and clear coat it again or use the laminating resins?

sorry i have no idea what to do. . .

ive heard you could save gelcoated hoods...

gelcoats is the white/blue/green stuff they coat bodykits and fiberglass parts in. The VIS hood is clearcoated. He could scuff it and shoot a couple coats of clear on it (I plan on doing this when my hood comes in). He wont be able to do anything about the cracks though. If he were to clear over them they would just show through again. The only way to eliminate the cracks would be to grind them out and fill them. Which would be ugly as fuck causeing him to paint it.

Quoted post[/post]]
gelcoats is the white/blue/green stuff they coat bodykits and fiberglass parts in. The VIS hood is clearcoated. He could scuff it and shoot a couple coats of clear on it (I plan on doing this when my hood comes in). He wont be able to do anything about the cracks though. If he were to clear over them they would just show through again. The only way to eliminate the cracks would be to grind them out and fill them. Which would be ugly as fuck causeing him to paint it.

i say fix them and paint it. it will still be lite.

interesting. . . i wanna get all the damn fading off of it first. . . its rather annoying to have an ulgy hood with water marks on it, and a bunch of fading. . . . i was thinking of sanding it with like 2000 grit sand paper and some clear. . . i just dont know what kinda of clear becausae i dont know if the spray paint would come out even. . . any suggestions.

Get the cracks filled, and paint the hood to match the reast of the car. plain carbon fiber hoods are rice IMO. It's great to have one, as they weigh A LOT less, but just paint it, your car will thank you, and you won't have to worry about it fading.

what are these cracks like?
big ass cracks? or really really really tiny?

most hoods are made with thermoset resins so that rules out heating it up to fill it in.

Quoted post[/post]]
Get the cracks filled, and paint the hood to match the reast of the car. plain carbon fiber hoods are rice IMO. It's great to have one, as they weigh A LOT less, but just paint it, your car will thank you, and you won't have to worry about it fading.

meh. id rather my c/f hood :)

theres 1 big crack and a couple small ones, i would try to take a pic of them, but i dont think its going to come out. . . but yes 1 big gaping one and a couple hairline ones.

CF Hood

My top reccomendation would be to pay to get it re-clearcoated. Usually you can find someone to do it for about a hundred dollars.

DONT USE NAILPOLISH. A lot of people have tried to just put some clear nailpolish on a cracked carbon fiber hoodsand it will look decent for about a week before it starts to crack and look ten times worse than before.

Good luck man

Why did you bring a two and a half year old thread back?

Jesus fucking christ, these fucking noobs are horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back