Carbon Fiber Skimboard

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I lived in Florida and I didn't give a shit if my booties looked gay or not, because everyone wore them where we skimmed. :p

Interesting, you are definitely not a West Coast guy. :D

ok, so you have a wooden core?

then it will delaminate.

if your going to build another one, drill a lot of holes in the board about every 4-5 inches, and that way some of the resin will have a grip on the wood, did you do prepreg or wet lay?

We used wetlay, RT aeropoxy, and vaccum bagged it. It completely wrapped around the edges. The camber we put in the board it held by the CF, so hopefully it won't delaminate. The prof said it prolly wouldn't either. Oh well it was a for-learning exercise anyway, hopefully it will last long enough to get my kicks with it on the water.
:)

So how did thsi thing work out? Ive been skimming regualry down here in SD. bought a new board and put the woodie one away, now im on to a fowmcore one. and was jsut wondering, why did you use a wood core? you shoulda bought a foam blank and used that.

Originally posted by Airjockie@May 14 2004, 04:35 PM
ok, so you have a wooden core?

then it will delaminate.

[post=332545]Quoted post[/post]​

definitly. i rented a brand new board, then at the end of the week when the core was showing the guy tried to charge me for it. time it takes will depend on the composition of the sand.

holy back from the dead!! as a side note, point of interest to the topic starter... i am a materials science and engineering major and have emphasis on composite materials.. partially for impact resistance, both ballistic and in the astronautic and aeronautic fields. are you a member of AIAA?? i am giving a presentation in teh region III conference April 22 05

Back