Carbon Fiber Skin

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

webink_EK9

Does anyone know if there has been a civic "reskinned" in carbon fiber? I mean removed sheet metal and replaced with carbon fiber? I don't know how possible this is, but I'm going to need to replace my roof sheet metal and I was thinking about getting it carbon fibered with a roof scoop. I have no clue if this is an option. Anyone know of anything like this?

would have to be a custom job

get ready to shell out some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

know of anywhere that can do that? I don't care so much about the money part of it. as long as its not going to put me above 15k into the project (entire project).

any shop that can do fiberglass can do carbon fiber

or you can get the materials yourself and give it a shot

its really not that hard to work with

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 2 2004, 02:20 AM
any shop that can do fiberglass can do carbon fiber

or you can get the materials yourself and give it a shot

its really not that hard to work with

do you know of any directions online that talk about how to form and mess with carbon fiber ??? the prices didn't look too bad !!!

dunno any off the top of my head .... its just like working with fiberglass though.... not too hard

really, so you just basically apply the epoxy type glue and let it harden ??? Is there a way to form it over something to make a mold ??? so that when it hardens, you can remove it undamaged ? make sense ?

yeah you resin it just like fiberglass, the only work ive seen done in person was a stereo install, so he had a mold for the amp rack, but he left the fiber on the mold, so i dont know if you would be able to just peel back the mold or not.

yeah you can get it off the mold ... you need some shit for it ... i think its called PVS mold release (not too sure)

i used that stuff when i made my carbon fiber leg brace :)

Hell Ya. Im might make me a carbon fiber roof for my hatch. Maybe it wont rumble when i hit bumps afterwards.

:EDIT: Never mind, i noticed the thickness is only .015 of an inch. i might as well buy a sticker. fuck it, i'll just use fiber glass and paint it.

:no:

CF is not "cool"

news flash.... the CF hood on the (insert color here) car DOESNT FUCKING MATCH it looks like hell and it should be painted
it looks just as shitty as a (insert color here) with a (insert different color here) hood on it
PAINT THE SHIT

the civics driving around with unpainted CF hoods, hatches, fenders, front lips, rear duckbill, etc... look like shit

it doesnt look fast... it doesnt look cool... it looks cheap... it looks just as shitty as the fuckin retards driving around with the unpainted body kits

CF parts because they are lighter = :thumbsup:
CF parts because CF looks "cool" = :thumbsdown: :slap:

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 3 2004, 02:00 PM
:no:

CF is not "cool"

news flash.... the CF hood on the (insert color here) car DOESNT FUCKING MATCH it looks like hell and it should be painted
it looks just as shitty as a (insert color here) with a (insert different color here) hood on it
PAINT THE SHIT

the civics driving around with unpainted CF hoods, hatches, fenders, front lips, rear duckbill, etc... look like shit

it doesnt look fast... it doesnt look cool... it looks cheap... it looks just as shitty as the fuckin retards driving around with the unpainted body kits

CF parts because they are lighter = :thumbsup:
CF parts because CF looks "cool" = :thumbsdown: :slap:

only thing i have to say to argue this is: what about CF parts on a black car?

Is that worthy of an exception?

is it closer to matching ... :yes:

does it match ... :no:

does it look as bad ... :no:

should it be painted ... :yes:

CF on black cars.... while it doesnt stand out as much and doesnt look as shitty... the finish is still completly diferent and when light hits it it still looks like shit (kinda like the guy who went to a shitty place to get a fender painted and they didnt match the colors for shit.... its close.... but still doesnt look right... and when the light hits it :puke: )

my arguement is...

why get carbon fiber if your not going to show it? so, your going to go out and drop a few hundred dollars more by picking carbon fiber over fiberglass. other people wont believe you if you say you have carbon fiber "this or that" unless they can see and feel it. and true there is a slight weight diff. between fiberglass and carbon fiber but is that extra 3lbs worth that extra two hundred dollars you just spent.

you might say, "who cares what anyone else thinks." But nomatter how many times you say it, i wont believe you. Then why do you do it, you know, mod your car? Cuz you love the rush. BULL SHIT! That may be part of it but there is another part, maybe respect, the look of the other guys face when you beat his ass, girls, or money. All given to you by other people.

AND, whatever happened to those of us that say we dont care what our cars look like just as long as its fast. and my reasons for making a carbon fiber roof has its reasons. 1. the roof i have right now flexes and bounces, and makes a sound similar to someone flapping a piece of sheet metal. 2. it would be unique. 3. weight. and i never said i wouldn't paint a roof, for crist sake it fucking huge, and i feel that would look fugly if it wasn't painted. but hoods, common.

okay im done with my rant.

my arguement is...
why get carbon fiber if your not going to show it?

its light

so, your going to go out and drop a few hundred dollars more by picking carbon fiber over fiberglass.

some people care that much about weight reduction

other people wont believe you if you say you have carbon fiber "this or that" unless they can see and feel it.

fuck "other people"

and true there is a slight weight diff. between fiberglass and carbon fiber but is that extra 3lbs worth that extra two hundred dollars you just spent.

again ... to some people it is... how serious are you??

you might say, "who cares what anyone else thinks."

bingo

But nomatter how many times you say it, i wont believe you.

ok

Then why do you do it, you know, mod your car? Cuz you love the rush.

i just love to drive... "the rush" is part of it too i guess

BULL SHIT!

ummmm no not really

That may be part of it but there is another part, maybe respect, the look of the other guys face when you beat his ass, girls, or money. All given to you by other people.

interesting concept but i dont drag race, so all of that is kinda unrelated to what i do.... i race road course.... i set my car up for road course.... my joy comes from passing a 911 turbo going through the turns and comming out of that corner so hard that even with his 150+hp advantage he cant catch my ass again... i like flying up behind an M3 and seeing the flag-man on the corner show HIM the blue flag with the yellow slash (faster car approaching)... i like bullshitting with all the old BMW and porsche drivers that have been doing this longer than i have been alive and getting tips from them.... but over all i just love the feeling of carving the shit out of corners

AND, whatever happened to those of us that say we dont care what our cars look like just as long as its fast.

i say that meaning that im not trying to make it pretty.... so the paints not perfect... so theres a few dings... so fuckin what... but ill be damned if im gunna purposly make my car not match (im way too fuckin OCD for that)

and my reasons for making a carbon fiber roof has its reasons. 1. the roof i have right now flexes and bounces, and makes a sound similar to someone flapping a piece of sheet metal. 2. it would be unique. 3. weight. and i never said i wouldn't paint a roof, for crist sake it fucking huge, and i feel that would look fugly if it wasn't painted.

ok

but hoods, common.

still think they look like ass

okay im done with my rant.

me too :)

Wow, I didn't want to spark that, but oh well. I learned something. I just need to reroof my car cuz some kids around my town jumped on it and crushed the roof into my head rests. I pushed it back up but its kinda wavy. Now I'm just looking to smooth it out.

I absolutly could care less about the look, but I'm doing a flat dark gray on the car, over the carbon (if I get it done) or not.

How do you get roof scoops on? How do you get the hole in the roof? Are there plugs for the scoops? I need that cuz I'm going to have no ac. Anyway...

Sorry again for causing that...

Luke

Back