Carbon Fiber Skin

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hood scoop = teh ghey.
no a/c? roll down your window.
you don't need a fuckin' hoodscoop tard.

those scoops on the roof of the car are not for replacing your a/c unit, it is for relocating air to the mid or rear engine. Some instances they are used for relocating the air to the rear brakes but even then thats not too often.

Originally posted by randerson165@Feb 3 2004, 09:20 PM
those scoops on the roof of the car are not for replacing your a/c unit, it is for relocating air to the mid or rear engine. Some instances they are used for relocating the air to the rear brakes but even then thats not too often.

WTF are you talking about

hes talking about a rally style scoop on the roof.... which indeed is designed for in-car ventilation

I've been rally racing for years! If you have no roof scoop, you're screwed! Windows up to avoid dirt, mud and dust in the cockpit. You've gotta have some air in there. Anyway, has anyone made one of these? All the cars I've driven or co-piloted have been factory cars or rally cars built for us. This is my first DIY project (diy = pay to have it done) :D
I'll most likely have plexiglass windows for weight reduction and no option of putting them down. All the roof scoops I've seen have external plugs and internal seals, but like I've said, I've never made or tried to put together a car before.

randerson165 Posted: Feb 3 2004, 09:20 PM

And just to look like the retard you think I am, I'll just put a MR2 snorkle on my hb. Just glue it to the roof with good ol' elmers! I don't know all that much about motor swaps but I'm not EMH.

I do a google search for roof scoops and there are so many people guying the ones you tape on!! What the hell? Why would you want a fake scoop? Maybe I just don't understand. If its not helping you get air, its just slowing you down....There are so many people out there buying stick on parts. AHHHHHH!

Educable Mentally Handicapped

My wife is a special ed teacher. And you rock for finding me those links!!!!!!
WOOHOO!!!!

You think that scoop would look alright on the top of my EK? I just don't want to look 2 fast and 2 furious, but I'll need the air.

Originally posted by webink_EK9@Feb 4 2004, 01:38 AM

randerson165 Posted: Feb 3 2004, 09:20 PM 

And just to look like the retard you think I am, I'll just put a MR2 snorkle on my hb. Just glue it to the roof with good ol' elmers! I don't know all that much about motor swaps but I'm not EMH.

My bad, don't hate me cuz I'm white !!!

I just put my 2 cents in and I thought I had some real advice for once. I guess I just keep my mouth shut. Sorry

i dont think it would look right

perhaps something like the hood scoop on a toyota alltrac???
but then i dont think it will get enough air in there

hmmmmmmm

let me think about this one for a few ... ill get back to you

I just want to make a note about this carbon fiber "fad" that is going on, and I see a lot of people dumping tons of money into it, without looking into the actual product, and other issues of concern when it comes to the stuff. I have been working with Carbon Fiber for a long time, almost 7 years. The thing is yes it is strong when wrapped, layers, and formed correctly. Yes it is light weight. However, should it be used on any daily driver non-race veichle? My answe is no first off if Carbon Fiber is not painted I give your hoods/fender/whatever other body parts 3-5 years tops before they start peeling, cracking, and delaminating. Also I hear about people wanting to replace things like doors with carbon parts. Doors are impact points if you are in an acident, the door will not dent it will crack and break away in shards, broken carbon fiber is one of the shapest things out there and along with speed and what not can really mess you up.
A lot of Carbon hoods out there are not lighter than the stock hoods, and if they are it is only by 3or 4 pounds. Granted there are some companies that are producing light hoods out there, but not that many. Case in point a good friend of mine bought a hood from a local "performance shop" for his CRX, when we took off the CRX hood it felt similar in weight, and when we weighed the two hoods the CRX hood was a pound lighter than the new Carbon hood.
This is just a heads up post that I am making, and there are some good carbon products out there, just do your research about these products. :)

so are you trying to say that we should just go with fiberglass. if so thats what i will do myself. that shits a ton lighter and cheaper as well. i just dont think they make stock looking parts for my car that are fiber glass. and that sucks cause i dont like Z3 fenders and vented hoods and all that shit. to flashy.

i always thought that a roof scoop what for aerodynamics like a mini spoilter a little pocket of air the pushes the car to the track

man hell with the with hoods period just drive around with no hood. for one it saves you weight. second it saves you money and third it can cool you engine better. ;)

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 3 2004, 06:00 PM
my arguement is...
why get carbon fiber if your not going to show it?

its light

so, your going to go out and drop a few hundred dollars more by picking carbon fiber over fiberglass.

some people care that much about weight reduction

other people wont believe you if you say you have carbon fiber "this or that" unless they can see and feel it.

fuck "other people"

and true there is a slight weight diff. between fiberglass and carbon fiber but is that extra 3lbs worth that extra two hundred dollars you just spent.

again ... to some people it is... how serious are you??

you might say, "who cares what anyone else thinks."

bingo

But nomatter how many times you say it, i wont believe you.

ok

Then why do you do it, you know, mod your car? Cuz you love the rush.

i just love to drive... "the rush" is part of it too i guess

BULL SHIT!

ummmm no not really

That may be part of it but there is another part, maybe respect, the look of the other guys face when you beat his ass, girls, or money. All given to you by other people.

interesting concept but i dont drag race, so all of that is kinda unrelated to what i do.... i race road course.... i set my car up for road course.... my joy comes from passing a 911 turbo going through the turns and comming out of that corner so hard that even with his 150+hp advantage he cant catch my ass again... i like flying up behind an M3 and seeing the flag-man on the corner show HIM the blue flag with the yellow slash (faster car approaching)... i like bullshitting with all the old BMW and porsche drivers that have been doing this longer than i have been alive and getting tips from them.... but over all i just love the feeling of carving the shit out of corners

AND, whatever happened to those of us that say we dont care what our cars look like just as long as its fast.

i say that meaning that im not trying to make it pretty.... so the paints not perfect... so theres a few dings... so fuckin what... but ill be damned if im gunna purposly make my car not match (im way too fuckin OCD for that)

and my reasons for making a carbon fiber roof has its reasons. 1. the roof i have right now flexes and bounces, and makes a sound similar to someone flapping a piece of sheet metal. 2. it would be unique. 3. weight. and i never said i wouldn't paint a roof, for crist sake it fucking huge, and i feel that would look fugly if it wasn't painted.

ok

but hoods, common.

still think they look like ass

okay im done with my rant.

me too :)

:werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd:

I agree with EVERYTHING E said.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 3 2004, 03:39 PM
i think its called PVS mold release (not too sure)

CRX hood it felt similar in weight, and when we weighed the two hoods the CRX hood was a pound lighter than the new Carbon hood.

It's called PVA.

I dont belive you.

They use CF in planes that break the Sound barrier, because it's (Acoustically Inert) this is not for the racer who just have 200hp, (Acoustically Inert) meaning it dosent take vibration (this is for people who want the most out of their car, I have CF intercooler pipes and Intake manfold being made for me.

Me myself :I'm in the process of making a CF dashboard and DoorPanels and the rest of the Interior Trim. CF isn't cheap as fiberglass and is not easy you should'nt try doing what you want, you have to start off small, cause you can lose thousand of dollars and waste supplies, if a company make a part that you want in CF its cheaper to buy it.

My friend from carbon werks have done a couple of things for me. Look at thier work.

s4025b8b39eb26.jpg

Back