Carbon Fiber Skin

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by webink_EK9@Feb 4 2004, 10:42 AM
I do a google search for roof scoops and there are so many people guying the ones you tape on!! What the hell? Why would you want a fake scoop? Maybe I just don't understand. If its not helping you get air, its just slowing you down....There are so many people out there buying stick on parts. AHHHHHH!

I worry about aerodynamics. I got this scoop but not installed I made sure it had an opening for air to escape.
roofscpr.jpg

Originally posted by Icy_winds_@Feb 7 2004, 11:19 PM
I have CF intercooler pipes and Intake manfold being made for me.

bad idea

CF transfers heat VERY well
basicly it passes right through it
your going to send the air through the intercooler and the heat will be put right bak in there through the CF pipes and manifold
also there is a VERY high chance that the heat will melt the resin and deform the shit out of the pipes and manifold

ie: very good bling factor .... but not very functional

So what are you are saying say aluminum dissipates heat faster? No It dosent.

CF has better heat propeties than aluminum, therefore it dissipates heat better and faster than aluminum. They dont use them as brakes and exhaust collectors, or intake manifolds or drag racing for no reason. have you ever seen lemans or something where a car was going through a turn and there brakes turned bright red then went away??
Thats carbon brake disk (In a matrix) aluminum or iron would have stayed red.

cfintakemanifold2.jpg

i am well aware of the properties of CF

im not talking about how it dissapates heat... im talking about how well it conducts heat

you are correct that once a heat source is removed CF does not hold on to the heat for very long

but that doesnt change the fact that HEAT PASSES RIGHT THROUGH IT

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 8 2004, 01:13 PM

but that doesnt change the fact that HEAT PASSES RIGHT THROUGH IT

So does aluminum. What are you trying to say? CF is better and makes a better manifold than aluminum for power.

aluminum blocks heat better than CF (but holds onto it longer)
steel blocks heat better than aluminum (but holds onto it longer)

aluminum wont deform from the heat in the engine bay
steel wont deform from the heat in the engine bay
CF is quite likely to deform from the heat in the engine bay

yes CF is used in a lot of cars engine bays stock..... these are cars that are designed with a LOT of ventilation too keep everything cool so that it wont melt

No it wont.
Tell me why that has not melted yet, CF would'nt (If you knew how to use it), if it with stands higher heat than aluminum then WTF are you talking about.
300_eng2b.JPG

This picture here is a manifold on an aircooled porsche engine.

manifold1.gif

Outstanding durability at temperature over 2000°C (3600°F) in a vacuum or inert gas.
(You must have some hot breath to melt it.)
Lower co-efficiency of thermal expansion, greater thermal shock resistance, increased abrasion resistance, high strength whilst being light weight, higher modulus higher thermal conductivity higher corrosion resistance excellent electrical conductivity faster heating and cooling enhanced fracture toughness.

DISADVANTAGES.

The high cost of making CF, varying uniformity in its physical and mechanical properties. Different degrees of density and flexibility, (meaning your using the wrong materials to cause it to melt and your a bad fabricator) Its time consuming and ppl use complex methods of manufacturing CF composites.

well see it not the carbon fiber that melts it is the resin. and new reaserch has created new resins that can with stand high heats ie valve covers.

As for the roof get a new panel from a body shop they are way cheaper than you think

I'll look into that. Would they just cut off the old roof and weld on a new one?

just to answer a previous question in here... about pulling the CF from the mold. You have to use a product called a "mold release wax" I have never used the stuff, but I know thats how they pop boats out of molds when they build them.(im a marine mechanic lol) and a guy i know got a price to have a new roof welded in, and it was 700 bucks, he just went and got a sun roof put in to cover big dents(in a crx).

700 is a lot now that I'm finding that my 8k budget is getting spent so quickly. I just spent 5145 on the motor. I still need mounts, a battery and all oils and such...just to get the car running. Then I'm going to need a removable steering wheel, seats, center console for inside.

I'm letting myself spend another 5-7k after april to get OZ WRC wheels, coil overs, body work and a new paint job...depends on the size of my year end bonus. I may save the roof work for that budget.

Unless you are really good at body work and welding I WOULDNT suggest you do this your self for 100 bucks. yes 700 might be a lot, but it would look perfect. Or you can get a sunroof installed if you feel that would cover the rust/dents in your roof.

I don't know how to weld, so yeah I'd be spending the money to get it replaced. The waves are across the entire roof, so a sunroof wouldn't help.

Originally posted by randerson165@Feb 3 2004, 09:20 PM
those scoops on the roof of the car are not for replacing your a/c unit, it is for relocating air to the mid or rear engine. Some instances they are used for relocating the air to the rear brakes but even then thats not too often.

Randerson you goofy bastard
I wonder if you know that the average temp in the cockpit of a Rally or Nascar or road racer on a 85 to 90 degree day is 110 to 140 degrees. Two words :Spontaneous Combustion. The more weight reduction on these cars causes a lack of insulation from the boiler under the hood and the sun in the sky so roof scoops are definitely for the driver. Any other secondary scoops for brakes are not on the roof they are on the side like the NSX or a Supra. Mr2 Snorkels are for the engine and so on. Now if you don't have a reason for one don't put one on.

If someone else needs one,So be it cuz you ain't DRIVING IT!! :kick:

Wow man, calm down a little... No reason to jump down someones throat for that. Anyway, we already corrected him and that was a few weeks ago.

and its not nice to kick people in the nuts!

:puke:

everything on that 2001 civic is carbon fiber. The whole interior trim, seat fabric, exterior...everything.

Back