Carburated B-series

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

no2psi

I was toying with the idea, of carburating my street car. I have done ITB's with a stand alone, and that works well.
Then I tried tuning with a factory ecu. What a complete waste of time. Anyways has anyone here tried it.
I know it has been done, but I have never seen one in person, or talked to anyone that has done it.

I'm a carbureted performance car owner (I'll keep the make to myself) and the question I ask is why? Sure, carbed cars can run well, but not all the time. I'd do the hondata thing and do a stage IV where you could do your own custom programming. It'd be about the same expense as the quad-weber carb setup you'd need to run well. Plus, who the hell wants to synchronize four carbs on a monthly basis (on a daily driver). I do agree that trying to tune a car with the stock computer(other than hondata modified) is a waste of time.

When you already have access to a far superior method of fueling an IC engine why would you want to take a step backwards? Go Hondata, go AEM EMS, but get something to tune you fuel injection setup.

This not a daily driver. I have 2 other vehicles. I know that Bisi has his running very well. And I do see that fuel atomization would be better with carbs. The real reason I wanted to do it, I just wanted to try my hand at tuning carbs. I use to do it on a 67 Firebird, and I understand the trouble with getting it to run well all time. I missed school many times. Just because I couldnt get it too start. I am older now and wiser. I just wanted to give it a try.

The problem is the carbs can only approximate the engine's fuel demand curve using two "lines' if one were to graph the engine's fuel demand vs RPM and then the carb's fuel flow vs RPM. The electronic fuel injection system can (with the ability to properly tune it) match the engine's fuel demand curve much more closely at any RPM.

Back