Carburated D series ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
So my buddy just got a carburated 95 EDM EG3, and he wants to build it up. I told him he should go fuel injection, but he doesn't want to, he would rather stay carbed. So my question is, who is making performance carbs for D series? And oversize pistons, cams etc...? And what else can we do here? I know build the block and head work, but if anyone has tips for the intake portion they would be appreciated.

isn't that a 1.3 or 1.4 liter?

Tell him to go fuel injection. There are reasons why honda put FI on there performance models. Tunning will so much harder to get everthing persise.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Aug 20 2003, 09:29 AM
There are reasons why honda put FI on there performance models. Tunning will so much harder to get everthing persise.

Yeah, and the reason was emissions.

As for tuning, carbs are freakin' EASY to tune. If you think they're hard to tune, you've never played with 'em. Too rich or lean? Turn a screw. Bogs when you open the throttle? Turn a screw. Hesitates? Turn a screw. No codes, no laptop, no ECU, no tracing wires and pinouts, no CELs, and when tuned properly, they'll give more power at WOT than a fuelie will.

If I were building a drag car or an oval car, I'd use carbs any day. Simplicity + more power = checkered flag.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Aug 20 2003, 04:36 PM-->
asmallsol
@Aug 20 2003, 09:29 AM
There are reasons why honda put FI on there performance models. Tunning will so much harder to get everthing persise.

when tuned properly, they'll give more power at WOT than a fuelie will.

That is incorrect. Fuel injection is much better at keeping an even air/fuel mixture than carburetion. Fuel injection is also much more precise and stingy with the fuel, to preserve fuel economy, as opposed to the open jets of the carb. Granted, there are some extremely mechanically complex carbs out there, but for the most part, with a carb, you're still going to be dumping small amounts of fuel into the intake manifold when you dont need it. It's the precision of EFI that makes it infinitely better. Also, with any system where you are inserting the fuel further downstreem of the valves, the fuel has more chances to catch on the intake walls and fall out of its vapor form. In order to simulate port fuel injection, you need to run multiple carbs, which makes tuning and synchronization a nightmare. If you've only got one carb, you're right, it's easy to tune.

Ok, it's a 70ps 1.3L D13B2, so being that D series are interchangable, and most of the fuel injection components are on the intake manifold, what about just bolting his carb and intake manifold to a bored over 1.6 D series long block, and dropping in a more aggressive cam? He doesn't want a B or fuel injection.

Wow, no comments, speculations, hypothosis, theories, ideas?

Maybe some of the guys on the 1st gen crx boards might know. I know they deal a lot with carbs. I have no idea other than that.

Back